4R100 Rebuild difficulty level? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2010, 01:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4R100 Rebuild difficulty level?

Can anybody give an idea how difficult it is to rebuild the 4R100? Are there any specialty tools involved? I rebuilt the C6 in my Bronco without any trouble. How would rebuilding the 4R100 compare to the C6? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2010, 11:47 AM
Banned

Yes you need special tools. Buy the parts, bring it over and I will show you for free!
Old 03-08-2010, 11:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Derek@VisionDiesel Send a message via Yahoo to Derek@VisionDiesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordNutz View Post
Yes you need special tools. Buy the parts, bring it over and I will show you for free!
where are you located? I'd like to find a good trans builder around me that would help me out... I know we discussed transmission a little before when i did the BTS valve body
Old 03-15-2010, 07:22 PM

I just finished rebuilding mine today! If you have mech skills you can do it! I didn't buy any tools but i did have to build a couple. its really not that hard but there is alot of parts, mostly thrust bearings which have to be installed the correct way or they won't last. also don't forget any snap rings! I forgot to put the low/reverse snap ring in and I got the trans all the way in and had no reverse! i was steaming mad but it was my fault. also you have to check the gap between the last plates in all of the clutches and make sure the proper gap is there. I used the manual from atsg it is almost priceless. I saved hundreds and i now have a heavy duty trans. I used the transgo tugger kit in mine, you have to drill new holes in your fluid circuits but it really was not that hard and they provide excellent pictures and diagrams. WIT has all the parts you will need and they have a parts breakdown for the 4r100 online. im not sure what the website is just type in wit transmissions into google.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yeah I am interested in this as well. Great to hear that some guys out there are doing their own. I'm used to folks rolling right over when it comes to working on a trans, I have done a couple manual trans and motorcycle trans.
So I could do it? Yeah!!

Scot
Old 03-18-2010, 11:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjg8599 View Post
I just finished rebuilding mine today! If you have mech skills you can do it! I didn't buy any tools but i did have to build a couple. its really not that hard but there is alot of parts, mostly thrust bearings which have to be installed the correct way or they won't last. also don't forget any snap rings! I forgot to put the low/reverse snap ring in and I got the trans all the way in and had no reverse! i was steaming mad but it was my fault. also you have to check the gap between the last plates in all of the clutches and make sure the proper gap is there. I used the manual from atsg it is almost priceless. I saved hundreds and i now have a heavy duty trans. I used the transgo tugger kit in mine, you have to drill new holes in your fluid circuits but it really was not that hard and they provide excellent pictures and diagrams. WIT has all the parts you will need and they have a parts breakdown for the 4r100 online. im not sure what the website is just type in wit transmissions into google.

How much time and money did you have into the DIY rebuild?
Old 03-18-2010, 02:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Derek@VisionDiesel Send a message via Yahoo to Derek@VisionDiesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcan33 View Post
I'd like to know too! I want to know what it would cost me to build my transmission up pretty good in my shop. And what kind of special tools would be needed?
Old 03-18-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcan33 View Post
in the end i had just over 1200 in total. i live near nashville tn and went to the wit transmission center located off of briley parkway. it took me half a day to pull transmission and whole day to tear apart and rebuild. you probably can do it faster but i had to build one tool to lower direct clutch into housing. just follow the manual and you will be fine. after you are finished you will laugh about how none complicated it was.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:43 PM

Get a manual and do it your self. Have had my tranny out well lets just say i dont have enough fingers. Worth the money and if you got the time.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjg8599 View Post
in the end i had just over 1200 in total. i live near nashville tn and went to the wit transmission center located off of briley parkway. it took me half a day to pull transmission and whole day to tear apart and rebuild. you probably can do it faster but i had to build one tool to lower direct clutch into housing. just follow the manual and you will be fine. after you are finished you will laugh about how none complicated it was.
Does the manula have step by step instructions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.