No forward gears, - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2010, 05:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No forward gears,

Have a 2001 F250, loses all forward gears every now and then, let it sit overnight and it will move, don't think it needs a rebuild, it stopped moving forward on me, then next day it moved i drove from ne kentucky to nw ohio and back pulling a trailer, no problems, but lost all forward again, reverse works fine, any ideas???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2010, 05:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

fluid?? check all fuses.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:58 AM

could be a broken return spring in the fwd clutch drum. Sometimes it will also cause a lockup in reverse.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

fluid is fine, fuses good, i was suggested to try changing the fulid and filter?? also been told maybe the tc was bad
Old 03-20-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thb2008 View Post
Have a 2001 F250, loses all forward gears every now and then, let it sit overnight and it will move, don't think it needs a rebuild, it stopped moving forward on me, then next day it moved i drove from ne kentucky to nw ohio and back pulling a trailer, no problems, but lost all forward again, reverse works fine, any ideas???
sounds just like mine, you need to start reading about the 2001 model with the mechanical diode. it's a sort of sprag gear but ford cheaped out and didn't design this one very well. my 2001 did the same thing turns out it was the diode. the trans had to be rebuilt. usually you will experience loss of 3rd gear, but occassionaly it messes everything up. maybe this isn't your situation but total loss of forward gears is not going to be electrical. these trans do use electrical solenoids but mainly to control sequence smoothness and timing. i have never read or seen an electrical prob stop all gears, these trans are hydraulic not electric. maybe none of this fits your bill but someone on this board will know.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:14 PM

Send a message via MSN to dusted4eva
Welcome to my world !! This happend to me twice and it was a tc failure that contaminated the trans. The morning driving will end soon and you will need a rebuild. If you can get to a trusted Trans Mech do it so you can get confirmation.
So I got away from the OEM trans and got a built one with a HD TC .
Old 03-20-2010, 04:00 PM

The diodecan fail 2 ways. If it locks up, you'll have 2nd gear starts and bindup on 2-3 shift. Shortly after that , it will burn out 3rd.
If it breaks into, you have no 2nd and shortly after that you loose 3rd from 3rd trying to slow eng down from a first to 3rd shift.
I think you have a center bearing comeing apart. This allows the fwd drum to wobble in the center support where fwd clutches are fed from. You will eventually loose all fwd gears all the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.