Replace tc or not - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2010, 08:34 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Replace tc or not

I pull a heavy trailer about 18K lbs regularly. I have installed the FTVB and the 6.0 cooler, and a auxillary tranny filter. Right now when I pull my tranny temps are good. About 100 degrees over outside temp. Before I bought the truck it was used to pull a toyhauler about 15K lbs. It has been used for pulling since day one. I got the truck with 50K miles on it. Should I consider installing a heavier duty tc or stay with stock as there doesn't appear to be any problems with this setup. I am planning on making a long trip in early summer and don't want to have any problems as it will be a 12-14hr drive nonstop. Also, the truck has a banks brake on it and have heard that using it is bad on a stock tranny. Is this true and should I be concerned? How does the brake affect the tranny it unlocks when it hits 1k rpms.
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2010, 06:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would wait till about 75,000 miles and then put a better converter and while the trans is out, add the trans go base shift kit. Reinstall with full synthetic fluid.
When you let off the accelerator, the main line pressure in the trans goes to minimum, aroud 55 lbs. With the banks brake, the transferof that brakeing goes thru the trans clutches. Does the banks brake boost the minimum line??? I don't know, if it does, then you're ok, if it doesn't, I would't use it.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:59 PM

What does the transgo shift kit do? Is it just a different valve body? I already installed the ftvb.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:08 PM

The transgo kit has a heavier spring that installs inn the pump. It can only be installed with the trans removed. It raises the fluid pressure across the board.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipz2222 View Post
The transgo kit has a heavier spring that installs inn the pump. It can only be installed with the trans removed. It raises the fluid pressure across the board.

I also have the FTVB and my TC is really slow to engage. I am considering a change....

Q. Will increasing line pressure raise Tranny temp? Is there a balancing point of more pressure vs. more temp?
Old 02-09-2010, 06:33 PM

More pressure brings higher temps but not much.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by minzbig22 View Post
I also have the FTVB and my TC is really slow to engage. I am considering a change....

Q. Will increasing line pressure raise Tranny temp? Is there a balancing point of more pressure vs. more temp?

I don't think the VB has anything to do with TCC engagement. Its controled by the solenoids.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:35 PM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
best option for you is 1st take off the estra filter as it will restrict the flow and isn't needed.
using a BD brake is a great idea but get a BTS VB setup for its use.
Then make sure you have all trans tunes additional pressures removed. Talk To BTS about the importance of this.

You can upgrade to a 6.0TC as its the best for the $$ untill you get a built trans.

Syn fluids if wanted.

Cary
Old 02-11-2010, 02:10 PM
Banned

I wouldn't run the bypass filter either, too much restriction on a low pressure area and less flow to the cooler. I also think you might cause the bypass to open, adding to your lack of oil going through the cooler. I can't see any reason why you can't add a converter now.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:32 PM

Correction on what I said earlier.""When you let off the accelerator, the main line pressure in the trans goes to minimum, aroud 55 lbs. ""
UNLESS you cancel od. When od is canceled, minium pressure is boosted, so you can use an exhaust brake, but not in od unless you have a system tht boosts line pressure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.