I need a rebuild, what upgrades should I get - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2010, 06:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I need a rebuild, what upgrades should I get

I have an 01 F350 crew cab, 7.3, 4x4, dually, flat bed and a heavy front bumper too.

I just got on the highway today and the tranny just let go when I hit about 60mph. I bought the truck knowing that is was going to need a rebuild, I just didn't think it would happen this fast.

I definately plan on doing some towing with it. That's actually the only reason I bought it. Eventually I might be doing some heavy loads with the truck. It's mostly stock, I just got 6 steel 11R-22.5's in and haven't even put them on yet. I know I'll do get some type of piggy back system for the computer, I just haven't had the truck long enough to check on them.

So, after I saw rebuild kits for around $300 for it I decided I had to mod the tranny too. What would be some helpful internal mods for the 4r100? And for my truck since I'm sure it's a decent amount heavier than most trucks out there and I'm going to be towing with it? What about the torque converter? I know I'll get another cooler for it and set up a temp gauge too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2010, 06:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The BEST 4r100s out there are ones made by either BTS or John Wood. BTS is probably the best but the JW ones are right up there too.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I ment that I'm going to be rebuilding it my self. I just haven't done a 4r100 before so I didn't know what the weak points were. I'm sure someone will have a decent valve body I'll want to use but I didn't know about anything else.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:47 PM

Ok gotcha. Not a clue then
Old 01-31-2010, 02:50 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Just order a triple disc billet converter, and suncoast clutch kit, valve body, and you should be good and strong.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:00 PM

Do you have a trans pump puller, a 4th clutch compressor, the center support spring compressor, the od gear set installer tool??? How about piston seal installer tools.??? This trans is not as easy to build as a c6.
There is a reason people charge $2,000 to $3,500 for these trannies.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipz2222 View Post
Do you have a trans pump puller, a 4th clutch compressor, the center support spring compressor, the od gear set installer tool??? How about piston seal installer tools.??? This trans is not as easy to build as a c6.
There is a reason people charge $2,000 to $3,500 for these trannies.
sorry, I've got to call B.S. on this... the reason people charge so much is they are CROOKS plain and simple. I made all of my "special tools" very easy. it is not hard at all. It may be harder than a C6, but entirely possible to do yourself. These "specialty" shops that do the upgraded parts, put an extra couple of hundred bucks in your transmission then it goes from 2k to 5k... One man can do what another can do, simple philosophy preached by anthony hopkins

If you get into one you'll agree, unless you're "rich" do it yourself. Of course if I had the money I'd have a whole shop full of hired grease monkeys to do all my work for me, but that's not the case...

I've got about $600 bucks in mine so far, it's not hard at all, in fact it was way harder removing the transmission than the rebuild part!!!

Just my opinion though, worth no more than anyone else's.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndsurfr View Post
sorry, I've got to call B.S. on this... the reason people charge so much is they are CROOKS plain and simple. I made all of my "special tools" very easy. it is not hard at all. It may be harder than a C6, but entirely possible to do yourself. These "specialty" shops that do the upgraded parts, put an extra couple of hundred bucks in your transmission then it goes from 2k to 5k... One man can do what another can do, simple philosophy preached by anthony hopkins

If you get into one you'll agree, unless you're "rich" do it yourself. Of course if I had the money I'd have a whole shop full of hired grease monkeys to do all my work for me, but that's not the case...

I've got about $600 bucks in mine so far, it's not hard at all, in fact it was way harder removing the transmission than the rebuild part!!!

Just my opinion though, worth no more than anyone else's.

I wouldn't say they are all crooks. Some have several years experience and ASE certs (like me) and don't just buy the first kit they see and do an install. There is way more than throwing in some parts and calling it good. Maybe you did a good job and maybe your trans won't last very long! I have no prob with guys DIY but don't knock the guys who do it every day and know way more than you do about automatics!
Old 05-15-2010, 07:21 PM
Chapter Director

all the tranny shops ive dealt with were crooks, two trucks had to have the tranny rebuilt after 10k on the first rebuild, one truck had a leak 2 days after it was rebuilt.

and many tranny shops just order the reman and throw it in. not actually fix or rebuild it.

to the OP ive heard good things about the Monster rebuild kits for other trannies not sure about the 4r100. but definately upgrade the clutches, valve body, and TC
Old 05-15-2010, 07:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride707 View Post
all the tranny shops ive dealt with were crooks, two trucks had to have the tranny rebuilt after 10k on the first rebuild, one truck had a leak 2 days after it was rebuilt.

and many tranny shops just order the reman and throw it in. not actually fix or rebuild it.

to the OP ive heard good things about the Monster rebuild kits for other trannies not sure about the 4r100. but definately upgrade the clutches, valve body, and TC
Not living past 10K sucks and would piss me off too no doubt! The factory clutches work just fine you just need more of them and you need to know what parts need to be changed and what needs to be machined so on and so forth. If you think BTS and Wood doenst have failures, you would be wrong. They do stand behind their work however.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.