Attention all tranny guys - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2010, 04:40 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Attention all tranny guys

I have a 99 auto, pulled the motor, the TC fell out of tranny and got some snow in it, 2 weeks later put motor back in, drained the TC and put in new fluid. Started the truck, put it in gear and i have no forward or reverse gears. The trucks idle changes when put into gear but there is no power being transfered to the wheels. If anyone can help i would be very thankful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2010, 04:43 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Are you sure you have the tc completed seated. If it is not completed seated into the trans. Then that can cause your problem.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:21 AM

Would it leak tranny fluid if it was not seated, and would the tranny be able to mate up with the motor all the way if that was the case. Because it is completely assembled.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:42 AM

It probably wouldn't leak if the converter is not fully seated into the pump of the transmission as the transmission is probably not building pressure and the sealing surface on the converter is also long enough to provide a proper seal.

It is possible to bolt the transmission to mate up to the motor with the converter not properly seated, this can cause damage and I would take it apart and check everything out.

Silly question...I know you said the converter has fluid in it, but does the transmission have proper level in it?
Old 01-29-2010, 01:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you did't have the converter fully seated when you put the eng back in, you've broke the pump gears. VERY COMMON problem. I'm assumeing you put the converter back in the trans before you reinstalled the eng. ?????
Old 01-31-2010, 05:59 AM

Yes the converter is in the trans, yes the tranny has propper fluid level. The transmission is pumping just fine, i pulled the high pressure test port and it sprayed like crazy! I pulled the input shaft sensor and used a mirror to c inside to c if i could c something rotating but there was no movement! So i pulled it last night hoping it was not in all the way or something, but i could not tell, so anybody have anymore insight on the deal?
Old 01-31-2010, 11:12 AM

I'm assumeing the trans was working before you pulled the eng???
Here's a list of no fwd or rev causes. Broken pump( spraying fluid out pressure port, pump good), tc dampner broke, broke intermediate shaft, rolled over input sprag ( Did you try manual low, if this was the problem it would have pulled in man low), low fluid.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:19 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Reinstall the tc make sure it is fully seated. Then reinstall the trans. Then check the fluids, then try to move the truck.

Yes it is possible to damage something. How ever it is also possible to not have damage anything too.

The trans may or may not leak with the tc not fully seated. Being if the tc is in the trans far enough it will obtain a seal around the input seal.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:19 AM

Let me rephrase something. Fluid spraying out the pressure port does not necessarily mean pump is good. You could have jammed the pump enough to cause low pressure, not enough to apply the clutches but enough to flow fluid out the pressure port. Most of the time , people break the pump gears and no flow at all. Look at the converter where th flat spots are, right at the outer edges. Do they look like they have been squished in. Was the tc a little hard to remove from the trans??
Old 01-31-2010, 04:58 PM

Reinstalled the tranny, but i ran out of tranny fluid, so i dont know if it works yet. The converter looked ok, but when i drained the fluid i thought i would shake it and when i did i could here something moving inside. Is that bad? The plug that i had pulled sprayed like crazy just when the engine cranked!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.