Clutch Whine... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 06:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Clutch Whine...

I come before you today, oh noble PSD Forum, with a heavy heart and mind...Although I know you do not need to answer my prayers, I will lift your name on high and sing your praises, oh mighty PSD Forum. Please hear my plea, and if its in your will, please give me your knowledge and inflection, that I may find peace...

Alright...So a few months ago, I left my house and headed to work. Situation normal...I parked the truck and accidentally left it in 3rd gear instead of 1st on a short incline (The parking break is intermittent (probably just worn shoes), and I don't trust 8" of metal to keep my 10k+ ride from rolling down the road...)...About 4 hours later (near lunch time) I noticed the truck had rolled out of the parking space about 5' into the lot. It was still on the slight incline, so it didn't go completely. I restarted her and backed it back up and put her in 1st. Drove home kinda timidly, easing all the gears in and out with no noticeable issues...Problem fixed...Or so I thought...
Then a week later, after driving about 300 miles, I noticed the noise...
At first, the clutch pedal stuck to the floor for a moment. I kicked it back and it popped back up without an issue...but that's when the whine started.
It only whines when the clutch is depressed. Let up and it goes away. She shifts just fine through all the gears. Reverse holds, low low works great, and everything is functional once it's in gear, it's just when I pull up to a stop light, or drop out the clutch in traffic and coast, it makes a screeching sound...Its definitely metallic in nature, it almost sounds like a serpentine belt slipping, but from underneath my feet...It's not velocity related, as I really never hear it at any speed unless the clutch is depressed...

She's only got 93k on the clock, but judging from the bruises and whatnot on her bed, I'm sure she was abused or was used to tow equipment quite a bit in her past...I know that at some point in the near future, I'm sure she's gonna need to have some major surgery on the transmission, but it's not really failing at this point. Just something in the clutch when the trans is out of gear...

I'm guessing that everything is stock under there. I've never owned something this heavy with a clutch in it...I have no idea what the service life of these beasts are, and I have no idea what really went on for those first 91k of her life...

The question is, is it worth it to try and just fix the symptoms, or just go for broke and do a rebuild or replace the clutch assembly before it's really worn out?

Hear my prayers, oh mighty PSD Forum...
In your humble name, I grovel...

Amen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2010, 06:57 AM
OBS Forever!!!!!!

Sounds like throw out bearing to me.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So is this do-able in the driveway, or do I need to seek professional help?

What would a decent place charge to do the work (truck runs fine, just need to get it to somewhere...)

Anyone know of a reputable shop in the N. Atlanta area?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.