Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

To rebuild or have rebuilt

4K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  Bmorrow77 
#1 ·
So im doing a 4wd conversion on my e99 2wd. I bought a 01 with a fried transmission. The motor has a bigger turbo, bigger injectors and either a edge tuner or 6 position. I got both with the truck and im not sure which to use. So... im so confused on what to do. I dont want to have it rebuilt by some shop that doesnt know what they are doing only to have it blow up. I saw a craigslist ad for a 4r100 rebuilt for $950? To me that seems to good to be true. So im thinking of just rebuilding it myself with the help of 2 friends that have experience with rebuilds. So im trying to figure out what kit to get. There are so many out there that i have no idea which one. My 1 friend said to go with the monster kit. Its like $800? I know compared to a woods or bts trans thats nothing but i just dont want to spend 8 when i can get something for 5 that will work for my needs. Next is TC. Again so many to choose from. Im not going to cheap out on it, but i also dont think i need a 1k tc? Ive read so many forums on this and it hasn't helped at all. Everyone always goes to "buy a woods" or " buy a bts" it would be great, but i dont have that kind of cash. And trying to explain to my wife that i want to spend more on a trans than what i paid for my truck....... anybody have any good suggestions on kits and TC? Or anyone know a good trans shop in the pittsburgh area?

#2 · (Edited)
#7 ·
Building a 4R100 is not as easy as what most people think, especially when adding power with the injectors and a tuner/chip. Monster stuff is junk....did I say junk?? Yes,, junk. they can build gasser trans pretty decent though. $950 for a rebuild is too goo to be true when a good rebuild kit alone with all the bearings and necessary stuff the need to be replaced is more like $1100. I've seen more people try to do these themselves and end up going through $100's in fluid due to pulling the trans multiple times making mistakes along the way. Its really easy to shred the teeth on a $400 planetary gear or strip the teeth on a drum. Keep in mind, what you paid for the truck is what you get.

Our most popular seller is the Sam Wyse STG1 and is $3100 plus shipping with 3yr unlimited mileage warranty, and comes with a DPC triple disk converter.

http://cncfab.us/shop/sam-wyse-automotive-stage-1-4r100e4od-transmission/

#8 ·
Im not sure what you meant by what i pay for the truck is what i get? Ive seen you post other stuff suggesting your parts. Not trying to sell them transmissions. And after i said i want to rebuild mine the 1st thing you do is try to sell me a $3k transmission. Basically telling me its to hard. Not sure how to take that. Im trying to get advice from people on the right parts to buy. My friend has rebuilt a 4r100 with monster parts and its still working fine. Im not saying they are good which is why im on here asking for advice. I dont have 3k to spend at once on a transmission. But i can get a parts list together good quality parts and have my friend help me rebuild it so i can learn how.

#9 · (Edited)
:ORG welcome:
First thing is first, he is giving you an idea of what the real prices comes out to... Both for a quality rebuild kit AND for a full trans. Second he is giving solid advice, as someone who actually works on these trucks every single day. None of us have anything against DIY, but time and time again we see people blame the parts for their mistake. We do want to help, and we will help. But cheap parts are not something we believe in around here... Granted im a 6.4 guy, soooooooooooooo yeah... Only doing the work once is the name of the game lol.

-Edit-
And vendor or not, at least he is giving you a place to start so you can compare pricing.

#10 ·
Im not saying i want cheap parts. I just want to make sure i dont pay rolex prices for a casio. The reputation he seems to have is good. I dont doubt that. But it didnt come across, to me anyway, right. I want to learn. Which is why i came to this site and is why im asking for advice on rebuild kits and a TC and not just buying the monster stuff. So if im wrong i apologize. Im not naive. I knew that a $950 rebuilt tranny was to good to be true which is why i didnt already go that way. I know to get quality your gonna pay.

#11 ·
What do you use the truck for? Is it a daily driver? Do you tow at all? Are you keeping the 01 motor stock?

Are you using the trans from the 01? Is there a difference between the 01 and E99 trans that you can't use the e99 trans with the 01 motor assuming the e99 trans is in good shape?

#15 ·
I believe he is saying the stock 01 truck came stock with a little bigger injector compared to the e99. Didn't the e99 have 120cc (AB?) and the l99-03 have the 140cc (AD?). I think that may be what he is saying not getting larger injectors or larger turbo. They came from the factory with larger compared the the e99.

#14 ·
I understand that. Which is why im not just throwing in that $950 trans or a jasper. But what you did say before kinda got me to thinking that if im going to spend say 3k in the long run with either your trans or quality parts and my time. I might just put a 6spd in it. Id rather have that anyway.

#19 ·
Ah, I missed that. I thought the 01 motor was completely stock. He is right. A stock trans will not last too long with Stage 2 injectors. You will have to beef up the internals.

#17 · (Edited)
a while back my tranny went out in my 01 and i didnt have a few thou to get a tranny but i did find a used tranny from someone that had around 60 thou on it. when you buy things used you still have to check em out just like anything else. so i took that used tranny and upgraded the pump and the valve bodies and in doing so i found the overdrive clutch was all screwed up this was evident when i pulled the pump, the previous owner was heading for a failure. as always the previous owner said it all worked fine. myself i see no reason why a stock trans with beefed up valve bodies and pump wont last. you still have to drive it like a human being realizing what you have, i increased holding power and increased pump pressure and used a torque converter lock up valve also this old tranny shifts firm and solid and i am not trying to burn tires down the block and i do tow. with all that being said if you drive it and not beat on it a few simple mods could work for you as it did for me. i have since put 50 thou on it and i do run a big cooler and i do change my fluid looking for signs of uglieness, i give that used tranny the best of care. i am gonna rebuild the old core myself i cant wait to disassemble and see what went south with it as far as parts RESEARCH RESEARCH and will probably go with woods choice of parts and then again drive it like a human being

#18 ·
E99 injectors are 130cc
L99-03 injectors are 140cc

Minimal difference in horsepower

L99-03 turbo is the same specs as the e99. Only difference is the e99 charger came with the same compressor wheel as the 94.5-97. The l99-03 turbo is a set backwards.

This is what I do for a living.

When you said larger, we typically assume you have larger single shot 160's or hybrids.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#20 ·
As to your original question here is what i have gathered from my readings and experience. For shift kits it seems like most people talk about the transgo tugger shift kit for the valve body. I have the Reccon TC that i listed in my first post. It has worked good for me. I have had the new trans for about 15,000 miles so far, so thats the only experience with it so far. Maybe put a billet input shaft. Im not sure a good brand on that. Then put a trans cooler from the 6.0 liter. If you don't want to do the valve body you could buy a John woods, BTS, or Sam Wyse valve body that is already modded and just put that in. As for the clutches i think i remember reading the reybestos are good. Also the DPC TC i have heard are good. There was also something about putting the E40D forward drum in or something cause it is full splined compared to ours that is not. But take this with a grain of salt I'm not too experienced with transmissions.

#21 ·
This is why the engine is still sitting waiting to get put in. I thought about putting it in and then getting the trans done and putting it in, but i know id just end up frying my 2wd trans. Once i have the engine installed and figure out what im doing tranny wise i want to sell the old engine and trans. Try to recoup some of the money i have invested.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.