Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Neutral? tranny or tranfer case?

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  sbluke55 
#1 ·
Guys,
I was driving into work this morning accelerating away from a stop sign and the truck made a small pop and all I have now is park and neutral. It felt like an old 4 speed truck popping into neutral, no bang, no noise.

I've tried switching into 4x4, 4low and back to 4x2 a few times - nothing.

I've pulled the dip stick, good pink, not burnt, full.

No codes, overdrive light not blinking.

It's just like it's in neutral.

I hate to pull the tranny and find out it's something simple. Any thoughts or debugging I could do?

Thanks!

#3 ·
Hmm... Not what I was hoping to hear but yeah maybe.

With that in mind what's the voting on new tranny's? BTS? Anyone have any experience with the Sam Wyse trannies Cory from CNC sells?

#4 ·
I have a Sam Wyse Stg 2. It is a nice trans. If i was in the market for a trans again i would get another one. The nice thing is when he was building it he messaged me and asked me exactly how i wanted him to set it up and how i wanted it to shift.

#5 ·
Ya like Justin said it sounds like your forward drum stripped the splines.

4r100's have a stupid half spline drum. Swap in a fully splined E4OD drum and it won't happen again.

Unfortunately it needs to be removed and torn down.

It shouldnt hurt anything else. So unless the trans is tired have a local shop you trust put a new E4OD drum in for a 1000 bucks or so.

#6 ·
Yup, just like everyone suggested it was the 1/2 splined drum. It was completely smooth. The rest of the tranny was plenty tired and in need of some love so it was time.

I had a local tranny shop, rebuild it for me, Zack's in Longmont, CO. They have some experience with 4r100s and they did a good job on it.

I pulled it out and put it back in and it was very straight forward to do. I was able to get it out in a little over 3 hours and back installed in a little over 3 hours with no headaches. I'm only a weekend warrior mechanic but I do have a lift and tranny jack. I couldn't imagine doing this without access to a lift. The guys at the shop said they can do it in under an hour...

My only problem is that the tab that's welded to the tranny fill tube that is mounted to the top passenger side tranny ( bell housing ) bolt broke off and I didn't notice until filling the tranny after all was done. So the fill tube flops around a little now I'm not going to pull the tranny to get the top bolt out and a new tube installed so I'll have to come up with a mount on the top of the engine to keep the fill tube from flopping around.

So far I'm liking the new tranny. I'm pulling a boat with a camper on the truck over Monarch Pass this coming weekend so that will be telling...

Attachments

Reactions: ZMANN
#7 ·
The guys at the shop said they can do it in under an hour...
i watched the guys at valair clutch pull my trans and tcase out all as
one unit on a shop built jack. had it out in less than an hour.

if you do it enough times, you can knock stuff like that out. i can
have an ls based engine and trans out in just a few hrs, but there's
no telling how many i've done already.

did you get a full rebuild ? what did that run ya, if you don't mind me
asking.

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
It was $3,500 with billet TC and syn fluid. This was their Stage 2 build.

Zach's Transmission & 4x4 zachstrans.com diesel-services Longmont, CO search zachstrans.com

I went local for no shipping, no core, and I had it back in a week drop off to pickup. Warantee is 50k miles and he's not far from me.

The TC is what he called a hybrid and I like it much better than what I had. Seems like more torque at launch.

#10 ·
Quick follow-up...

First, the trans fill tube bracket that is held in place by the top right tranny bolt, the one that's impossible to get at unless the trans mounts and drive shafts are out so the tranny drops, broke off during my install somehow. The tube still seems sound as there wasn't any trans fluid leaking from refilling the tranny so I decided to just make s quick mount on the top of the engine to hold the fill tube in place - see attachment. This is much more stable anyway...

Next, 4x4, 4lo, stopped working yesterday, 2 days after install. It was working, I use 4x4 to get home everyday. I live in the foothills in CO and there's a couple steep parts to my gravel road that I use 4x4 on every day, not because I could not make it otherwise, but to avoid wheel spin and save wear on the road - you think of things like that when you maintain the road... Anyway, yesterday it stopped shifting into 4x4.

I don't believe in coincidences to I figured it had to be related to the recent tranny install. Both electrical connectors on the transfer case looked tight. When trying to engage 4x4 I could hear the motor cycling ( clunking ) so I knew the relays and fuses were good. I pulled the motor so I could get a good look and all 6 pins on the selector sensor looked good but I had a feeling that was the problem, wabbling the connector off. I bent the pins one way just barely, like .005" and installed it and tried 4x4 again, this time no sounds from the motor and no 4x4 - aha. I pulled the motor out again and bent the pins the other way, just barely and tried it again and got a quick solid clunk as it went into 4x4, then 4lo. Works perfectly now. I think that pulling the connector off I moved one of the pins imperceptive just enough that it didn't make reliable contact. I was very careful not to bend them too much and now it works perfect!

Attachments

#11 ·
nice! I like the little custom bracket too and glad the pin bend technique worked. I don't think I would of thought of that haha. Plus your right about road maintenance. Im from Idaho and it snows, rains, super hot, all on the same day and had to spread gravel after every spring to keep out driveway and access road good. you lean real quick of little ways to keep gravel out of the ditches and back on the road to save cost etc. we got the rock for free but still had to load up the truck, wear n tear and spread it out with the tractor every year lol.

#12 ·
Glad you got it fixed. I just went over monarch Sunday. That will be a good test.

Did you add a bigger trans cooler? If not I would make that a priority. Also do you have a trans temp gauge?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.