low clutch pedal engagement questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2009, 08:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
low clutch pedal engagement questions

Hope someone has the solution to this- This problem has plagued my early 99 since I got it a few years ago, although this year it has gotten worse. I followed the ford tsb and replaced the cluch pedal and fluid line from master to slave cylinder, and bench bled the entire system. At first it seemed to be better, but all in all not much better than before swapping parts. It seems to get worse in higher heat situations like towing and when I run the ac, but oddly enough, it gets worse almost immediately when I turn on the ac.
Can anyone explain why? When I tow my fifth wheel in the summer it gets so bad I REALLY struggle to get it into gear at a full stop.
When I swapped the parts I filled the system w/ dot 4 fluid thinking the fluid may have been getting hot enough to boil and introduce air bubbles in the system. Is this possible?

Thanks for any advice on this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2009, 07:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

i work on dump trucks and tractors, usually this is a sign of the clutch brake going bad, not sure if its the same on your superduty, though i have never done one before, i just know of the signs......
Old 12-01-2009, 12:23 AM

There is no clutch brake on a synchronized trans like in a Superduty, the synchronizers do the job of stopping the input shaft (by matching input and output shaft speeds through the chosen gear) so no need for a clutch brake.

Could be a couple things, need some more info.
First, what type fluid and how much is in your trans?

Second, when you are forcing it into gear does the truck move if your foot is off the brake?

Last, when stopped and wonít go in gear does it resist going into all the gears the same or just first and reverse?
Old 12-01-2009, 12:41 AM
Berm Buster

Im going to say that your clutch is going out. How many miles are on it. Im pretty sure there is an auto adjustment on these and when the clutch starts to engage really close to the floor it means that it cant adjust anymore because the clutch is on its last leg. Even if its not slipping it will still do this.
The A/C thing is kinda weird though.
Do you ever shift without the clutch once under motion. If so do you ever have any problems getting it into gear without useing the clutch once under motion.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedyboy487 View Post
Im pretty sure there is an auto adjustment on these and when the clutch starts to engage really close to the floor it means that it cant adjust anymore because the clutch is on its last leg.
Yes there is an auto adjustment . . . it's hydraulic and as it weirs more fluid stays in the slave to adjust it every time you let the peddle up.

What you describe would be 100% true in a class 8 truck, but in this case we have a light truck that functions in the opposite way. A worn clutch would engage at the very top of its stroke in this truck till it would no longer engage at all since the slave pushes on the pressure plate fingers to release them instead of pulling the fingers like on heavy trucks. For this reason it will fail to engage from weir but never fail to disengage from disc weir alone. However since its hydraulic all the driver will ever know is that it slips more than usual on takeoff till all it does is slip.

Broken fingers on the pressure plate or some other damage could cause this but I don't think it likely due to how long it's been like this without a catastrophic fail. The questions I asked above will help up pinpoint if this is a simple clutch problem or if the problem acutely lies in the transition. If it is the clutch not letting go all the way I would check the firewall for cracks around the master cylinder as everything we have been told so far points that way.

Last edited by adfields; 12-01-2009 at 01:54 AM.
Old 12-02-2009, 01:39 PM
Berm Buster

Thanks for clearing that up. I actually had a talk with the old man about this after I had read it. He is big into heavier trucks and said exacly what you just said.

But now that I think about it i remember putting a clutch in my buddies dodge that would engage all the way at the top with only an inch to spare as opposed to right off the floor. I guess I should think things through before I type
Old 12-02-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedyboy487 View Post
Thanks for clearing that up. I actually had a talk with the old man about this after I had read it. He is big into heavier trucks and said exacly what you just said.

But now that I think about it i remember putting a clutch in my buddies dodge that would engage all the way at the top with only an inch to spare as opposed to right off the floor. I guess I should think things through before I type
If you aint learning you aint living.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm pretty sure it has the factory dose of mercon in it. I have been meaing to change it, but haven't gotten around to it. I have checked the level though, and it is full.

Yes, when I try to put it in gear, the truck will move - Obviously showing that the clutch is not completely disengaged. But- like I said, I replaced the original clutch pedal with the newer part#. Ford says this is a newer design with a longer throw. Unfortunately, this made little to no difference. When I replaced the pedal, everything looked good. I did take a good look at the firewall before installing the new pedal assy.

I don't know if it resists going into every gear. I only ever tried low, first, and reverse.

No, I never shift without using the clutch

The truck has 134,000 miles. I bought it when it had 80,000. I am assuming it is the original clutch. I've never seen any signs of any major work done to this truck.

Thanks for all of the replies
Old 12-03-2009, 12:34 AM

The firewall crack is very hard to spot, I changed the master twice without spotting it. I only found it by lying under the truck looking in the inspection hole (4 spd) at the pressure plate as someone worked the peddle and I noticed the line wiggled a lot. So I looked up and saw the firewall was moving in and out ľĒ with every push. Even then I had a hard time finding the crack with a mirror, at first I thought the firewall was just flexing.

If itís not the firewall itís likely the pressure plate fingers cracked or weak and/or the throw out bearing since you have addressed all the other stuff. 134K miles is not too bad for mileage on the stock clutch in my view. I only got around 60K from them in my F550 wreckers, but they were worked hard with city driving and always towing something.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Same Problem

I am having the same issues with my truck... My truck has 186k, but the tranny was replaced with a recon and a new clutch at 178k... New fluid, flywheel turned, new slave cyl, etc... I have noticed it over the past few weeks. If I put it in reverse, there's not much slip to it, it kinda feels like there's a "hot" spot in the flywheel and it's not a button clutch. I installed a Valair clutch from Midwest Truck. Any ideas before I break out the tranny jack?

Last edited by Strokin Hard; 05-03-2010 at 06:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.