Tranny rebuild - what do I use? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2009, 07:49 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Tranny rebuild - what do I use?

This will be my first tranny overhaul project (not doing it myself) but curious to know what products and brands are recommended (i.e. clutches, torque converter). I haul a 30ft boat and in conjunction with the trailer, it's probably around 14,000lbs so I want to make sure I build this tranny right and never have to do it again.

Any suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2009, 09:03 AM
Other vehicle is an F250

Where do you live? I think who does the work is just as important as what you put in it. My $0.02. If you're near upstate SC I will direct you to one of two shops that can do you a good job.

I'm heading to a truck & tractor pull this afternoon . There will be a super duty out there that has the same tranny build as mine except he swithed out his TC for one from BTS.

Find a sled puller or drag racer and ask him where he got his tranny built?
Old 11-14-2009, 10:13 AM

Hank,
Unfortunately no where near SC. Live in Wisconsin, outskirts of Madison. Have a good idea of someone that is very familiar and known as a guru for tranny building and works at a dealership. Hoping he'll be up to the task for doing it on the side. I just need to figure out what components to replace and what brands to use. Thanks for the input!
Old 11-20-2009, 11:53 PM
<< Representin with INK

Bump Im about to do the same thing, tow about the same thing but on some steep grades and alot I dont want to do it again with future upgrades either. I live in northern Utah tho. Ive heard about suncoast, Brians Truck Shop and also ATS. Does anyone have any experience between these and recomend one over the other? I have heard that BTS is more or less the best when dealing with 4r100s?
Old 11-21-2009, 01:32 AM
John Wood Nut Swinger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I too have herd things about suntoast and none of them good. Jong Wood or BTS are the only two shops that would ever get my money again. John Wood has been known to sell parts to rebuild your own. The hardest part of building a heavy duty 4R100 is the machining of parts and the addition of quality parts. I have run the gammet with trying to get a good build until I bit the bullet and got the real deal from John Wood. Three other trans with verying "builds" and they all failed with less than 350hp. My JW trans is
going strong (over 30k miles)with almost 489hp and lots of towing(10k lb TT), drag racing and sled pulling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.