rebuild kits - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2009, 07:31 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
rebuild kits

Hey all,

I am looking around for a 4r100 rebuild kit. My trans is old, and feels like itis ready to go out soon. I looked at "Monster in a box" Any other kits that I should look at? Also I plan on a torqueconverter and new trans cooler, after market deep trans pan.

Is there any good books out there to help me with the rebuild?

Right now I am looking around, so I know how much so save up over the winter. In the spring, I plan on pulling the trans to change out the oilpan on the truck, I just want to get everything done all at once so I am not always taking all this stuff in and out all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2009, 01:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

They have the book and everything you need to mix and match from mild to wild. They did a good job of holding my hand from time to time on my first build so I give them a big.

I have had great luck with the Red Eagle stuff. I made my own tools just from looking at the pictures they have on that page and in the book, not very hard at all but the center support seal and all the parts cleaning. The books are almost at the bottom of the page, get that first and see what you are in for.

Performance Auto Transmission Center

Last edited by adfields; 11-14-2009 at 01:21 AM.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:57 AM

I rebuilt my own transmission from my 2000 F-250, first time ever rebuilding a RWD transmission. I had done a number of FWD manual transmsissions, and helped with a couple of FWD autos, but this was a first for me.

Bought the 2 books for the 4r100, though you only really need the first one to get the job done. To do this you'll need a few special tools, a tranny jack really helps, a slide hammer, and the most important item, a local independant transmission shop that can do some things that are damn near impossible to do without special tools and/or years of experience.

I spend about $100 in labor at an awesome local transmission shop. They installed a few bushings for me, reassembled my transmission pump (need a tool to line it up just right), and installed a few seals and pistons to various things that needed a more seasoned hand to reassemble. Oh yeah and they loaned me a tool for a 1/2 hour to compress one spring in the tranny housing to get the center support and a snap right into the right place. They were invaluable for the things that I was not able to do myself, and they were quite happy to help me out. I ended up buying a whole bunch of frictions and steels from them cause some things in my transmission were ALOT worse than I expected, but the tranny seemed to work ok, except for the TC seal leak spewing a gallon a week.

To do it over again I'd buy a complete Alto Red Eagle set with the powerpacks to add extra frictions and steels, plus I'd prolly buy the couple of tools I found to be absolutely necessary to do the job. Or I'd shell out the cash to buy a BTS or JW tranny.

I'm kinda wishing that I had just bitten the bullet when I saw smoked clutches and bought the Red Eagle set. In hindsight it would have only been about an extra $300 outta pocket over what I spent buying fristions and steels with the above shop.

I replaced my 176k old TC (which it seems was fine but old and I wanted peace of mind) added a transgo tugger HD2 shift kit, transgo pump lockup kit (TC lockup is FAST and feels like an extra gear, HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS IN COMBO WITH THE TUGGER2) metal pump drainback valve, tranny filter clip to hold the filter in place via a bolt, not just hanging, and a 10 micron absolute Donaldson hydraulic filter and base with 25PSI bypass on the return tranny cooler line. Best investment is the filter cause I know that trannys after a rebuild have lots of loosened crap floating in them.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:48 PM

As far as tools go it's not that hard to make them.

The pump tool is as simple as 2 or 3 large hose clamps from Home Depot.

The rear assembly tool I made from a 1/8" by 1" steel bar stock from Home Depot and a bolt and nut from my junk box. Took all of half an hour to bend, drill, and notch the ends with a drill and file (hack saw and file would do fine too) to fit the drum.

For the center support tool I just used my press and scrap steel to do it. It's the only hard to do thing in the hole trans but it sure can be done by the average shade tree Joe. I watched a friend of mine do it with 3 "C" clamps and about an hour of tinkering since he did not want to drive over to my place and use the press . . . it worked just fine.

Rear case busing tool was made from a peace of 1/2" all thread, couple washers, 3"x3" peace of 1/4" plate with a hole, and a socket the same size as the bushing.

Very easy to make all this stuff if your moderately mechanically inclined.
Look at the tools at the link below and you can see how simple they are.
PATC
Old 11-23-2009, 02:48 PM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Deep after market pans is a big waste of $$.
If your set on a DYI only choice IMO is a complete kit from John Wood..only trans expers selling a kit.

Rebuild trans correctly done don't have any crap in them and do not need extra filters. Always replace your trans cooler with a NEW one..6.0 31 row is the best.

warranty its all yours. I'd rather get a BTS..last trans you will buy.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:02 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I think suncoast sells a rebuild.

x2 on the BTS!
Old 11-23-2009, 03:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
I think BTS and JW sells rebuild kits....
Old 11-23-2009, 04:53 PM

Just about any builder will sell you a kit but why buy it from them? You don’t go to a mechanic to buy an engine rebuild kit to install yourself do you? I don’t, I go to a parts house that sells engine parts, likely the same place the mechanic would get it, and I get more choice for less price. Why do people that can fix any other part of a vehicle think they need a guru for an automatic trans build? We had a saying around my shop in Arizona . . . parts is parts! In other words a Red Eagle clutch set is the same no matter if you get it from John Woods, BTS, PATC, or the manufacturer. Once I know what I want I just buy it from the place with the best service and price and don’t worry about who put the parts in the box to call it a kit.

I’m not knocking builders like BTS here just saying that buy doing the research time and much boring dirty work a competent gear head can build a trans that’s just as durable for much less money. If you can’t or don’t want to invest the time and work it takes to build your own then by all means find someplace like BTS that has invested the time to learn what it takes and pay them for their knowledge! I for one live to figure out stuff that the masses are too chicken to tackle, it's my first love.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:56 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Well some "builders" use treated metal that the public dont no what it is so if you just rebuild a trans the way it was... It will just go out again in due time.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:44 PM

You are correct that some of the hard parts need to be upgraded if you want to put 450 HP and 800 foot pounds through it but they all go out in due time . . . nothing lasts forever. My first E4OD build has 300K of winter snow plowing and summer tractor hauling on it now and doing fine, not bad for under $400 worth of parts I think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.