Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Major electrical issue!

977 views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Milo_seed 
#1 ·
I have a 2001 F250 that I've owned since 158,000 miles and have had minimal issues with the truck until now. The truck currently has 270,000 miles and the transmission was replaced at 225,000 miles. Last night the transmission started acting up to the point it would shift from first to second, and then it was hit or miss if it'd shift into third. Reverse was also not engaging until the engine reached 2000 rpm. Was able to shut the truck off and leave it sit for a few minutes, then it shifted properly. After an hour of driving, I stopped to fuel and went to take off and had the same shifting issue (I did leave the truck running). Went down the road for about 5 miles, tried shutting the truck down like before and had no more issues with shifting up until today around noon, only this time reverse was the only problem. Also having issues with the lights (this issue just started today) where the LH turn signal works properly, RH flashes all 4 turn signal lights and the dash light, hazard does the same as the RH turn signal. When the headlights are on, the brake lights stay on, including the third brake light and does not change the turn signal/hazard issue. Everything else on the truck appears to work properly. I have done little diagnosing at this point since I just made it home, but from experience with AG equipment, I'm leaning towards a common harness that is melted or shorted in a certain spot or a bad module. Only recent work done to the truck was the turbo that has only been installed for 4 days and even then I didn't see any possible concerns where a harness would be too close to the exhaust side or anything else. Any input is appreciated!

See less See more
#6 ·
Issue has been found, there was a zip tie that was holding the rear light and trailer connector harness, that broke and allowed the RH rear light wires rub on the trailer connector. The tail light and brake light power wires shorted out after the insulation had worn off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.