6 speed clutch died - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2009, 04:54 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6 speed clutch died

If your clutch looks like this, you might need a new pressure plate and throwout bearing.

6 speed clutch died-clutch-pressure-plate.jpg6 speed clutch died-clutch-throwout-bearing.jpg

I know lots of you like south bend clutches but I'm just a poor college kid who no longer has a real job. I am looking at a Valair clutch. Is the throwout (release) made with plastic in their kit as well? The plastic is melted, and just doesn't belong on a bearing. (like a "lifetime lubricated bearing") I was hoping for someone to describe the difference between the dual mass and single mass flywheel. I think mine is single mass, but i don't know for sure. Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2009, 05:10 PM
The Tamed Racing Driver

Yes yours is a single mass flywheel. A dual mass flywheel works by putting the dampening springs in the flywheel instead of in the clutch disk. As for which clutch to by i'm not a south bend guy by any means, but they have a relitivly cheap clutch that I have in my truck, their spicer style clutch, South bend part# 1939-df, holds around 400-450, and I picked mine up for $5-600.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just finished installing my Valair clutch yesterday. My kit came with a throwout bearing similar to the stock one, with the plastic sleeve. Whatever clutch you decide to get, do NOT get a stock style clutch disc with three damper springs! My OE disc hub busted and the damper springs flew out, which is a common problem with these. I got the double sided kevlar disc, and it isn't broken in yet, but the engagement is VERY smooth. If you go with a ceramic or iron friction material, be prepared for a much harder engagement. Valair and South Bend both offer many combinations and have decent prices.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:08 AM

I ordered my Valair clutch Friday from Stealth Automotive, a sponsor on the site. He was very helpful.

I remember having heard similar stories on the 3 spring hub. I decided on the Organic facings and heavy duty spring hub for that reason. I only plan on a TW or DP tunes, so I figure that will hold enough for my plans. Its a DD with occasional 8-9 K towing.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:30 AM
Banned

Best clutches I ever bought are from a company that builds them to order its called EURODRIVE and they are in Burlington Ontario Canada and they are also the cheapest
They build clutches for Ferrari and lambo
Old 11-08-2009, 12:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah if you're towing, organic or kevlar are the best options. On a side note, when I put the ZF back in I decided to fill it with Redline D4 to try and quiet down the gear rollover noise I had in L and 1st....BIG MISTAKE! Contrary to their claims, this stuff is not stable across the temp. range that the ZF operates at. The rollover noise is all but gone when the trans is cold, but when it warms up, it's louder than ever! I had petroleum Mercon in there before, and while the noise was moderate, it was very constant across all temps. I don't know what the rest of you 6-speed guys are using, but I've gotta get that D4 outta there!
Old 11-08-2009, 06:32 PM

I recently changed the tansmission fluid so im not doing it again. I just used NAPA Mercon fluid. I figured in that tranny its fine with the cheap stuff. I wouldnt use NAPA brand in an automatic though. I assume the noise your refering to is the same noise i hear at low RPMs especially in Low and First, but also in other gears, at or very near idle speed. I never have concerned myself with the noise though, because i prefer the pedal in exatly the opposite position.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Send a message via AIM to hartman1999
anybody ever try spec clutches? i heear they make some good stuff.
Old 11-26-2009, 06:23 PM

Here is an update. I got the clutch installed and it is very noisy. At idle i get a rattling noise. Accelerating at low RPM's, the noise that sounded like gears rolling has gotten quite noticeably louder. And now i get the same noise while decelerating and I never had that before. How many more have experienced this? Does this go away with break in, or will i always have it? My girlfriend, not mechanically inclined at all, was riding with me today and said "that doesn't sound good." I didn't change any fluids. Any ideas?
Old 11-28-2009, 04:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Transmission noise update

After reading the update from MudRulzz, it sounds like I am having the same noises, minus the one when lugging the truck in low gears. The lack of this noise could possibly be due to using the Redline D4, as I did have this noise before switching to the D4. Does anybody know of a remedy for this, or anything that would help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.