Tranny or Torque Converter? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2009, 11:12 PM
Blowin Smoke

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tranny or Torque Converter?

I was hoping to get some of your opinions on whether you'll think my tranny or torque converter is going out. It's seems like it's slipping going into overdrive. When it shifts into OD the RMPs jump up and down by 200-300 a few times. It feels like the Torque converter is having trouble locking and is slipping in and out, but I'm not sure. I thought it could have been a clogged filter, but I put ina new one and it still does it. Any advice or personal experiences are greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2009, 10:37 PM
Blowin Smoke

anyone?

Anyone?
Old 10-19-2009, 09:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Sounds like the trans as a whole is going south...do you still have your old filter? If ya do, cut it open and look at the element for metal shavings, some is normal, but alot is not

When mine went south, it would only slip in O/D and i could get it to slip 3-400 RPM. Maybe you will get lucky and its only the Torque Converter because you havent said it shifts terrible with anything other than in Direct Drive(when the converter is totally locked up)

Is there a long pause in the trans when you go from first to Reverse? The longer the pause between it going from those two gears it gives you a little bit of a tell tale sign when the trans is really goin south. When mine went it was up to sometimes 2-4 seconds til it would engage between drive and reverse.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:28 PM
Blowin Smoke

No pause beteween 1st and reverse that I've noticed, but I'll try to pay attention to that and try it out tomorrow.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:16 AM
Other vehicle is an F250

Hmmmmm? Mine has a 1st-R delay and was like that the day I had it built and have 14,000 miles or so on it now? I thot all 4R100s had a delay to R?
Old 10-20-2009, 11:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

it has a small delay, Briat at BTS noticed that the very first thing when i took my busted trans (that i drove 800 miles to get to his shop). And it was one of the first things he pointed out that was different when he took me out for a drive after the threw his trans in my truck.

Normal delay is about a second...
Old 10-20-2009, 11:18 AM

I have blown a few trannys now.... when my stocker went it had a long lag when shifting that even advanced tuning couldnt fix. i also had a lag when shifting to reveres. the biggest problem was the dropping a gear when ever if felt like it then shifting back up..... this was with a bully dog. PMT (not recommended) a hyper tech econ SCT preloaded tunes and on stock. i got a BTS and have blown 2 of them now....... but i still love Brian's trany and i found out first hand you cant beat his warranty. the first one i smoked a set of clutches and the second one stripped some pump gears. thats with a SCT running his tunes ran on a dyno at 401 and 705 to the rear wheels. sounds like you got a tranny ready to take a crap......
Old 10-20-2009, 03:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsnider777 View Post
I have blown a few trannys now.... when my stocker went it had a long lag when shifting that even advanced tuning couldnt fix. i also had a lag when shifting to reveres. the biggest problem was the dropping a gear when ever if felt like it then shifting back up..... this was with a bully dog. PMT (not recommended) a hyper tech econ SCT preloaded tunes and on stock. i got a BTS and have blown 2 of them now....... but i still love Brian's trany and i found out first hand you cant beat his warranty. the first one i smoked a set of clutches and the second one stripped some pump gears. thats with a SCT running his tunes ran on a dyno at 401 and 705 to the rear wheels. sounds like you got a tranny ready to take a crap......
i LOVE the BTS warranty, i just had my first BTS go out what did you use your truck for when yours failed? I use mine to pretty much exclusively tow, usually gross 30K truck and trailer. But even though mine was busted it never left me stranded, still worked great and even towed my ranger on a 20' car trailer to the shop when i dropped it off.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:04 AM

the first one i dropped was at a truck pull. i had to much traction never slipped one tire all the way down the trac. at the end it just got pulled down and stuff was sliping in the trany.... it had been acting weird tho i had some stuff messed up with my tuning i beleive that let it do that. the second one was like 2 weeks after the first one. a day after another truck pull (that i won ) i was out 2 tracing on some back roads. i striped my pump gears...... i didnt even do anything bad...... he told me that is caused from a VERY hard acceleration followed by a VERY fast let off and there is spike in the oil PSI and it strips the converter gears. you will know its this cuz the truck feels like it is in neutral and wont go anywhere then when you pull the tranny the converter should be stuck in it and wont come out. Brian said he hasnt had one do that in a long time thought he had it fixed but my truck is a one of a kind and finds ways to amaze ppl every day. but we got another one in it now and ready to rock as long as he keeps sending me free trannies i will probably keep finding some way to break em
Old 10-22-2009, 01:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have yet to hook up to a sled, but Veil Pass on I-70 and the foothills of colorado work my trans pretty hard...Especially at the weights I tow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.