tranny shift issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2009, 06:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
tranny shift issues

I have a 2001 f250 automatic. When I am driving down the road from a start it shifts ok until I reach third and overdrive. I will shift into third then directly into overdrive. It imediately shifts into overdrive. It will do this even at 45mph. It doesnt come out of overdrive that easy either. I hope this does not mean an overhaul. Oh and the shifting is a little soft through all the gears also. Thanks for the help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2009, 08:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

im not transmission mechanic..but my tranny is also pretty much shot in my truck to(when i have programmer on and under hard accel is bangs into gears SOOO hard it jerks my head back lol) but you should prolly find a good reputable transmission shop in town to take it to..have them test drive it...they might be able to tell you more or what they think (take most of what they say with a grain of salt..remember they are working for a living to) and go from there....you prolly need a tranny rebuild though...idk if money is a problem for you or not..but time wise i know shops here in mooresville NC can have my truck up and running by monday-tuesday if i brought it in on a friday (this of course depends on how bad i messed stuff up)

just food for thought though..just trying to help
Old 10-15-2009, 08:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

4R100 shift's like this: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd torque converter lock, then 4th. You may be feeling the TC lock in 3rd.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hello
My 2000 X 2wd did the same thing. Almost like it stumbles into OD kind of bypassing 3rd. Mine has 168K. I found that my Gear select lever with the OD switch in it was bad. My OD Light didn't flash, no codes thrown. I replaced it last week, and the weird shifting is gone, the dropping into OD at odd times gone, the stumbling affect is gone, I can cruise at 35 now in OD and it doesn't stumble. And it's getting better too. When I first replaced the lever, it still stumbled a little . now it is gone, So I think the brain is relearning it's ****hing patterns. It still does it when it's cold but even now, that too is getting better. I got about 600 miles on it now. 57.oo for the lever assm.
the wires inside the shaft on mine were melting. I think I was getting random signals to the brain concerning ****f points etc etc. replace the lever. it's worth a try and failry cheap.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Cool

did you replace the complete shifter leaver? and did you have to get it from ford or where did you get it?
Old 12-11-2009, 03:05 PM

2005f250, The lockup is a "floater" meaning it can come in at anytime depending on inputs. It can even come on in 1st gear. Makes for difficult diagnoses sometimes. Even worse on the 5r110w where it shifts different gears depending on tempature.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlystroked View Post
I have a 2001 f250 automatic. When I am driving down the road from a start it shifts ok until I reach third and overdrive. I will shift into third then directly into overdrive. It imediately shifts into overdrive. It will do this even at 45mph. It doesnt come out of overdrive that easy either. I hope this does not mean an overhaul. Oh and the shifting is a little soft through all the gears also. Thanks for the help!!
my 2000 f350 is doing the same thing. what have you found to be your problem?
Old 12-18-2009, 07:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i have had the same problem with my truck! its scarin me, i dont have much money to throw down right now. Sometimes it skips third completely, and other times it goes from three to overdrive, skipping 4. it does it when im p**** footing it, and when i hammer down. i dont know what to do.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:15 AM

Can somebody tell me how to start a new thread? All i can do is reply to existing ones. Sorry for throwing this into this thread but its the only way i can ask anything?
Old 12-18-2009, 08:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffdono14 View Post
i have had the same problem with my truck! its scarin me, i dont have much money to throw down right now. Sometimes it skips third completely, and other times it goes from three to overdrive, skipping 4. it does it when im p**** footing it, and when i hammer down. i dont know what to do.
i took my steering column covers off last night to look at the wire coming out of the shifter. they do have some damage coming out of the grommet. i drove it unplugged with no change and drove it while wiggling the wires and had no change. mine shifts fine all the way thru 3 but goes into fourth and immediatly into lock up. i can touch my brake and it comes out but goes immediatly back in. im contacting ford right now to see if they have the new shifter in stock. probably will replace it because if its not the problem it looks like it will pose one soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.