Converter Shutter? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2009, 08:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Converter Shutter?

background, I just bought an '02 F-250 with the 7.3 a few months back. it has 73k on it right now (bought it with 70k) It was completely stock when i bought it from the original owner. I've only put a 4" exhaust on it.

Drove it up north a few times with all my buds with dirtbikes loaded in the bed and on a 3 place open trailer. come back from up north and find my u joints are going bad and upon further removal both my hubs were shot (bearing races blown out and burnt rusty grease coming out of them) $858 later the front end it fixed up and smooth as ever.

Now I'm getting a decent vibration around 35mph especially and other times when i'm just putting along maintaining speed. It seems to me it's the converter shuttering because when i floor it or when i'm coasting it doesn't vibrate.

Am I correct in assuming it's the converter shuttering when it's not locked? From all my reading here (and i was aware when looking for a truck like this) that the 4r100 is not the greatest unit out there. I already contacted my guy that builds me converters for my camaro and he said he could build me a triple disc billet unit for a pretty fair price for my truck.

Will this cure my powerstroke woes? I'm planning on a shift kit when i get the converter as well, i'm just obsessive compulsive and any little rattle or vibration (that's not along the lines of normal diesel noise) drives me up a wall.

any other input would be great!
Thanks - Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2009, 08:10 PM

I forgot to mention, the last trip i made before this happened, we put my buddies predator tuner on the 85 tune in my truck for the weekend. could the tuners lockup settings have prematurely ended my converters career? (it was nice getting 21mpg heading up north for the weekend though)

Also i have a TW chip on order, if i install the chip before i get this converter issue fixed, could the increased line pressures benefit me or make things worse faster?
Old 10-12-2009, 03:13 PM

anyone....anyone....bueller??.... should have the new converter within the next day or two and should have it put in the truck by the weekend with some new trans parts anyways. hopefully this solves my delema
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.