Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2001 Excursion 4x4 4R100 transmission lost all forward gears. HELP!

7K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  hansel 
#1 ·
2001 Excursion 4x4 4R100 transmission lost all forward gears. I've recently swapped in a 6.0 31 row trans cooler in hopes of reducing the trans temp.

Before the trans cooler install, I've been noticing that after driving in normal trans temp for a while and parking it, after coming out of PARK and shifting into drive, I'd have to rev up the RPM before it engaged in Drive. Or, I would have to shift into 1st, then Drive.

On a 30 mile trip since the trans cooler install, the trans began to slip in O/D, 3rd & 2nd. I limped home (all the while) the temp was averaging 175-180 in 100 degree heat here in Atlanta's traffic.

Trans fluid is not burnt, but haven't dropped the pan yet. After letting it sit for the past several days, I drove it to Costco via the Highway (2 exits away). All shifts seemed firm and normal. Once I arrived at the stop light a the exit, it was as if it was in Neutral. No shifting in Drive nor 2nd Gear, I limped up to Costco and let it set. Once leaving, I could only limp out in 1st. No drive or 2nd gear (REVERSE IS FINE).

After about 3-4 miles in 1st, it gave out and had to get it towed back home.

Background on the truck.
7.3, 4x4, 4 inch exhaust, triple gauges, SCT canned tune performance, 37" BF Goodrich tires, 8" lift. 195K miles on eng, most likely stock original trans.

Can anyone recommend a reputable trans shop in the Atlanta area?

See less See more
#3 ·
I see you are here in my neck of the woods, which Costco are you driving too??? If it's the one in Buford that's the one I work at, and right up the road in Flowery Branch is Chris at A1 Performance transmissions, he can build you one bad arsh tranny.

Reactions: five0merc
#4 ·
Still getting my funds in line but like Corey said, I'll be driving up to him to get my stage 2. My truck has no forward gears so I'll have to pull trans myself and just bring it as my core. I guess I'll use my wife's car to take it lol. At this point we should all just rent a truck and take a road trip. Lmao

#6 ·
Dude, seriously am thinking about it. LOL! I dropped my pan am am trying to get the solenoid off so I can check my 3 support bolts. I'm still only have reverse only as well. Work keeps me tied up so I'd rather drop it off to get it replaced and drive my backup....a Prius.

#7 ·
Finally got the solenoid off yesterday and torqued the 3 feed bolts. They weren't torqued to spec, but I've tightened them up to spec 12 ft/lbs. The fun apart will be finding the balls that fell out of the VB and finding where they belong (not to mention pushing the harness back ON the solenoid.

Still time for a rebuild.....but if this works, this can get me out of driving that dang tiny Prius. I'll be calling Chris at A1 and Brian at BTS today. I will say that having a lifetime warranty from BTS does sound and make more economic sense. I NEVER want to do this again......

#9 ·
I'm about 3 weeks in with my new Bullet proof tranny. I had it rebuilt in Flowery Branch by Chris at A-1 Performance transmissions. Since i had the truck, the TQ converter never locked, as I notice when it locks now (Engagement, RPM's drop and the fuel efficiency kicks in!". It's like another gear in the truck, LOL!

However, I', still chasing an issue which I thought was in my tranny. It's present in 3rd and 4th gear (w & w/o OD or TQ being locked). Sounds like a rumble and chains slack when I'm NOT using the throttle and am coasting above 45MPH. Sounds like a bad pulley bearing (Whirrring noise, vibration under my feet and an old loose chain... (if that helps). It immediately stops the noise and vibration when I apply throttle.

My thought is that it's the Transfer case. I'm leaning towards mounting a small video cam under the truck in an attempt to record the sound and view at different access points under the truck.

What do yall think?

#10 ·
I got a perfectly good 4r100 if anyone needs it cheap.... South FL.

#12 ·
Have you talked with Chris, and see what he say's?? I would be guessing what could cause the noise, like TQ, driveshaft's, rear gear's. etc......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.