Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

trans temp and po codes

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  jj1 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I have just bought an 02 7.3 f250 4x4 . after around 20 or 30 miles of driving it home the trans temps got high so I pulled in to a service station and found the fluid level be low so I filled it up and let it cool for a while and set off. i thought that had sorted the problem temp gauge was right in the middle of the range,after about 20 miles again the gauge went right up into the red not gradually it went up fast then a red dash light with check gauge and then a shuddering like driving on rumble strips which went away when I slowed off, I was driving at around 50mph slowed to 30 to stop the shudder. on the 200 mile journey the shudder came back a few times , seemed to be when i went over a bump but stopped when I shut off. anyway got home with the gauge right in the red on any uphill and in that little bit between yellow and red the rest of the way. I bought a code reader and pulled these codes
po 603
po 741
po743
po750
p1746
p1754
p1783
my question is where do I start to sort this out.
Thanks in advance for any help with this.

See less See more
#2 ·
You will need to get gauges to start with,and trans temp being one of the major 3 to get(trans.,boost,pyro) amd see what actual temps your seeing,your cluster gauge is a "idiot light" so to speak.it only tells you when it's gone wrong just like how you mentioned it shot up fast.i would assume a clogged or weak pump or clogged lines,also you said you filled it up what fluid did you use? These are very specific machines on what goes into them there not a "mix all" use.also others will mention for good reason the trans cooler stock on our trucks are a joke there a 9row I think so most upgrade to the 6.0L trans cooler which is a direct swap(with a couple fittings and hose) and there a 26-31row and typically lower your trans temps by 40°+\-. Look up in the tech files on here for the codes there is a code sheet floating around somewhere.hope any of this helps or gets ya started in the right direction lots of good knowledge on here

#3 ·
I will look into the gauges and oil cooler,thanks for the heads up.
The only oil I could get on the day was Dexron 3, My thoughts where something is better than nothing.
Looking like these codes are mainly relating to solenoids and I think one might be to do with the overdrive button I get no light when pressed and doesn't seem to do anything when driving, I have read this is a common problem.
where do you guys mainly buy your parts From ?

Thanks

#4 ·
Dex/mercIII is actually what is used in these transmissions so your good there,Amazon is great for stuff you can't get locally.A lot of the autozones or oreillys don't sell diesel specific stuff,they just tell you to use the "mixes with everything" stuff which isn't correct at all,Walmart also carrys all the oil and filters for our trucks so that's a plus

Reactions: jj1
#5 ·
Reactions: jj1
#6 ·
Started digging into this transmission problem,I have got the transmission out of the truck and the first thing I noticed is it as a 4 stud converter and the flex plate had been drilled so it as the wrong converter. Took the trans to a friends shop who stripped it down and found nothing wrong inside except for a bit of damage to the pump. While looking for a new pump He came to realise there are differences in the valves in the pumps and this is probably the problem I have had all along basically there are two different sorts of valves in the pumps v10 gas and diesel as a pulse width modulator valve (pwm) and the rest have a on/off valve which is what I have. so it's basically this:

FORD 4R100 – “PWM” AND “NON-PWM” PUMP DIFFERENCES Mar
by Amry Joe
CHANGE: Beginning at the start of production in 1999, the 4R100 transmission was offered with two different torque converter clutch application strategies. A “PWM” (Pulse Width Modulated) version, was added in V-10 gas powered vehicles and all diesel, and a “NON-PWM” version, offered in all other gas powered vehicles. Hot Car diagnostic tools to konw? This required two different solenoid packs as well as two different pump assemblies.

REASON: For smooth converter apply on V-10 gas and diesel engine models.

PARTS AFFECTED:
(1)PUMP ASSEMBLY:
The pump cover assembly had the rear of the Converter Clutch Valve bore enlarged approximately .070″ to acommodate the enlarged land of the Converter Clutch Valve.
A .036″ orifice and an air bleed were added to the TCC Solenoid signal passage.

The Converter Clutch Control Valve’s rear spool was enlarged approximately .070.” There was also a bushing and valve added to the end of the valve train.
A hole was added to the pump cover to connect the Converter Clutch Control Valve Bushing to Converter Regulator Valve oil.

The Converter release orifice in the NON-PWM pump cover, as shown in Figure 1, was removed from the PWM pump cover.

The PWM solenoid pack requires a Pulse Width Modulated torque converter clutch solenoid and the NON-PWM solenoid pack requires an on-off torque converter clutch solenoid. You also can get some car tools like Launch X431 Printer and launch obdbook 6830 to know more.

INTERCHANGABILITY:
None of the parts listed above are interchangable from model to model.

Has anyone come across this problem before and is there a way around it or is it new transmission time ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.