Tranny died good/bad news - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2009, 03:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tranny died good/bad news

it's a 2000 F-350 crew cab dually 2wd stock size tires and no tuner "yet". went to a big mud event here in florida hauling my toys on a 34' gooseneck. i'm easy on the truck when hauling alot of wieght, I get on the throttle and right before it shifts i ease up on it, let it shift, and then get back on the throttle. weekend was great loaded everything up and started to head out. it had rained alot and was difficult getting out of the camping areas without spinning tires, so i'm just feathering the throttle the whole time in the wet slick grass while pulling my gooseneck, i eventually get so far where i cant move any more without spinning tires. as i wait for my buddy to get in front and hook up to pull me out i notice the smell of transmission fluid, the gauge says 190, warmer than usaul but not boiling, so i put it in neutral and rev the motor to circulate the fluid and move some air, all of a sudden the tranny gauge jumps up to 240! and wont go back down untill i turned the truck off and wait a few minutes, it went down to 210 and i went ahead and got pulled out. i eventually got to the front gate and pulled out onto the hard road, before it even shifted into 2nd gear the truck tried to stall out and then all gears went out. had to be towed home, pulled the tranny out and took to the shop. i noticed it had been rebuilt before, there was righting on it with black marker. the transmission shop said that what probably happend is the torque converter got really hot really fast and ballooned up and destroyed the pump. he's going through the tranny and cleaning it up, said the first gear clutch pack needed to be replaced but everything else is new and still good, said that when it was rebuilt they put 6 gear steel planitaires. he's getting a triple clutch billet converter for $550 and the tranny is going to cost $550, so $1100 in total, not bad at all. he recommended getting a 6.0 tranny cooler and aftermarket tranny pan that holds 8 more quarts. thats another $800, but i dont think thats going to help because from what he explained to me is that the torque converter heated so fast that it couldnt cool down before the fuild even got to the cooler. my tranny temp gauge is in the spot for the pressure testing port, dont know if thats before or after the fuild circulates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2009, 05:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Those are some good prices...what make is the convert and transmission parts?
Old 09-12-2009, 08:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

the tranny work is just replacing 1 clutch pack, the pump, and cleaning it up. the converter is comeing from a shop that he deals with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.