Truck Died in Reverse - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2009, 06:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck Died in Reverse

The truck died tonite twice in reverse, my bypass valve is stuck i think.

I hit 200 degree temps before this happened, now its in my shop cooling down so i can test the bypass valve.

Any ideas why it just died in reverse? Did some searching but didnt come up with what happened to me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2009, 06:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Most likely, from what I understand, maybe your torque converter did not unlock at idle????????
I am in no way considering this a VIABLE option, just my .02 i may be WAY off in left field....

here's a
Old 09-02-2009, 06:39 PM

This is probably due to the fact that your tranmission filter has "dropped" out of its inlet port at the pump.
This symptom usually occurs after a transmission service, I.E. they drained the pan, and replaced the sump filter, however, they may have installed the incorrect filter.
When the "E4OD" transmission does not see any pump pressure in reverse,, It stalls the engine.
For some reason, this only happens in reverse gear.
Check your fluid level first, then check your filter. If it drops down with the pan, you could bet that that is the problem.
The correct filter should stay up in the pump body.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i have a BTS 4R100, and i havent serviced it for about 10K...trouble free and heavy towing 26-30K. I drove it empty to town 20 miles and the temps started climbing upwards of 200-210 by the time i finally got it parked.

Last edited by redline73; 09-03-2009 at 09:22 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-03-2009, 09:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Bypass valve has failed, i pulled the line off the side of the tranny and it started runnin fluid out the bypass port. I gave Brian at BTS a call and he is getting it Overnighted and it be here in the mornin
Old 09-23-2009, 11:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

did this fix the problem?
Old 09-24-2009, 02:12 AM
Other vehicle is an F250

I'm interested too. I replaced mine this summer (along with another cooler) and it seemed to help my temps a bunch. Where-how were you measuring your temps? Gauge from test port? Scanner tools from OBD-II port?
Old 10-03-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline73 View Post
Bypass valve has failed, i pulled the line off the side of the tranny and it started runnin fluid out the bypass port. I gave Brian at BTS a call and he is getting it Overnighted and it be here in the mornin
Hi guys, I've had this problem for the last couple of weeks or so. At first it was just when the truck was cold, but then it happened every time I put the truck in reverse. It feels like the Torque converter goes into lock. The truck feels the resistance & goes into boost & you have to really put your foot on the brake hard to stop it shooting off in reverse like a backwards drag race.
I just changed the fluid today including draining the torque converter & a new filter. I went for a test drive & it was looking good untill I pulled up at home & it stalled in first gear
Also the other day I noticed a strange noise coming from the trans after I had turned the truck off. It sounded like a small electric shock machine. Hmmm does that make sence? Imagine Frankanstiens lab & small electric currents passing through electrodes... Hang on I think I'm going insaine
What is the Bypass Valve & where is it on the trans?
Old 10-04-2009, 01:21 AM

I could really do with some advice on this now. Iv'e just been out in the truck to get some milk & as I slowed down at a roundabout/rotary/traffic circle the truck almost stalled. It is worse now I have changed the fluid
When I got to the store & walked away from the truck I could hear the weird noise comming from the trans again.. It sounds like a relay or somthing having a fit. It also sounds a bit like oil in a frying pan then drop some little drops of water into the oil.
It's hard to describe in words. I hope you get the idea of the noise.
I have some really long trips to do next week so I could really do with some help on this.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

My trans bit the dust, and the torque converter is in constant lock mode. Sounds similiar to what your going through. Not to worry, i got a new BTS trans sittin in the bed waitin to get installed this weekend.

Nightcrawler It sounds like your bypass tube has failed, making the fluid constantly do a constant loop through the trans without going to the coolers.

This is more common when cold weather first hits and doesnt allow any flow. OR you could be like me and have the bypass valve filled up with metal shavings not allowing it to pass through anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.