Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

tranny not shifting out of first

18K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  matter 
#1 ·
I have a 2001 F250 auto trans.

problem started 2 weeks ago when I noticed it was reving really high- at the time, i thought it was me, when I left of the accelorator, it finally shifted into second. after that, it kept doing. would take off fine but ONLY shift to second when I rev it up and left of the accelorator. rest of the gears shifted fine so it was only an issue at start and stops.

the other day, my daily driver was in the shop for tires and I drove the truck to work. when i left work, it would NOT shift out of first no matter what i did.
now Im stuck. it wont shift out of first. I have first and reverse.
checked all vaccum lines and speed sensors. havent dropped the pan yet but never had any bad smells, shifting noise, grinding or slipping. only have 103k on it so hopefully its not shot.
I have heard possible valve problem or selenoids. any advice?

#5 ·
Sounds like you burnt your sump pump. The factory pump wont take a beating constantly, especially when you step up the line pressures/Torque. Pull your trans pan, or crack your cooler lines up front on the radiator let it drain into a drain pan through a piece of cloth, Black cloth works the best then go hold it in the direct sunlight that will show how many shavings it catches.

Looks like a rebuild is coming your way, when you do get it rebuilt, dont forget to get a inline trans spin on filter that bolts on the passenger side to the frame. It helps from letting contaminated fluid back into the trans even after a failure such as a sump pump/Torque Converter and will save the rest of the trans.

#8 ·
so i had the same problem, replaced the valve body, and solinoid pack, only two thing that weren't replaced when i had my trannie rebuilt a year and a half ago, even a banks torque converter, my problem still remains, will reverse just fine, but forward movement, not a chance, could it be the torque converter as well?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.