Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Cracked transmission

7K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  cletusjermal 
#1 ·
I need help. The transmission on my 99 f250 7.3 cracked all the way around. It cracked right where the transfer case and transmission are bolted together. I was wondering if it could be welded together, ford says it cannot be fixed and we need a new one. Running into problems finding another transmission and really cannot afford a new one. Just found out that this transmission at one point had pto but it was removed.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I added a photo. The piece that is cracked is a piece on the transmission that is in between the transfer case and another bolted on section of the transmission. I am wondering if its possible to just find that piece and replace it and not the whole transmission.

#3 ·
That is the tail housing. I believe you can replace just that part. I checked the prices and they run around $100 used.

Also make sure your u joints are good. That's what most likely took it out.

#4 ·
Thank you so much. Ford has it so im probably going to have to pay the $200-$400 for the one from them and yes the u joints were bad and i was meaning to replace them but then my husband hit a concrete block and pushed the axle and everything 2 inches back. I am just glad its not the transmission but ford right now is trying to say that it is. The truck still drives so im assuming the internal parts are still working.

#5 ·
I have run into another problem. Yesterday the truck moved even with everything like that and no transmission fluid or very little. It got to ford and they said when they turned it on and tried to move it it wouldnt move. So now im not sure if they ruined the transmission or not. Theyre quoting me $900 just for the housing and said i can pay the $4,000 for the whole transmission and be sure it will run. He said that the transmission comes with the housing but everywhere i have looked says it doesnt. None of the other transmissions i have bought over the years have ever came with the housing, we just always used the old housing that was on the trucks. He also said the transfer case chain has slipped off which would cause the truck not to move. Not sure if i should try for the $900 and the transmission still not work or go ahead and replace the whole thing

#8 · (Edited)
If you're relaying the info you're being told correctly, find another dealer or mechanic to work on it. You're being lied to. The chain in the T-case has nothing to do with it "not moving". There's a seal in the rear of the case that keeps the trans fluid from getting into the extension housing, so that's why it doesn't leak, and my guess is that the trans so far has not been harmed.

Is this a shift-on-the-floor T-case? If so, because of the crack, perhaps the T-case moved back far enough for the linkage to shift it into Neutral. This would cause "not moving".

You're being taken advantage of. Find another service facility. Take your picture (probably in your phone) to an independent transmission shop in the area. (Not a chain like Aamco). Show them the pic, and tell the story. See what they say. Independent shops should have the used part, and their R&R guys could replace it in a couple hours.

#9 ·
The t case could of slide far enough back that it's not splined up to the trans anymore. I agree with Dave. Take it somewhere else.

#11 ·
I went into the dealership and looked again at the truck, the gap is much bigger than what it was before getting there. I believe when the tow truck was putting it up there it might have pulled everything further apart. The dealership said when they tried to move it that it started making crunching noises and they instead moved it with a fork lift. I told them only to fix the extension housing and not mess with my transmission. Of course the extension housing is $100 on ebay and theirs is $457 for the same one. I knew that something was up when they were saying that the transmission with pto costs more and i looked up on ther website and its $1,000 cheaper. If it doesnt run after they replace the housing i am going to be mad. I was going to fix it but my husband refuses to let me do it.

#12 ·
It's a pretty easy job. Only the t case has to come out. I would tow it home or to a mom and pop shop.

#14 ·
So update on the truck. Ford is not fixing it, it has sat there for almost 3 weeks and nothing is being done. They had it promised to us today at the latest and that didnt happen so towing it to a transmission shop close by. Hoping tomorrow or some time this week it will be fixed. Ford still says its the transmission and i guess they just dont want to fix it because i told them to only replace the housing

#15 ·
I'm sorry. Hopefully you can get it going soon. Most likely going to be cheaper at the independent shop anyway.

#17 ·
It's actually pretty easy. The t case is f**king heavy though.

#18 ·
Yea he was worried i wouldnt be able to lift it myself.
Well the other shop fixed it and its running. No damage to the transmission but they did find a hairline crack on the transfer case. Going to use some jb weld on it. Glad its running. I think ford was refusing to fix it since i went in there and told them that i didnt want a new transmission and only need the housing changed. So upset it sat there as long as it did.

#19 ·
I would get a divorce and separate bank accounts, stay together though if you wish! HE screws up the truck, HE won't fix it himself, HE won't let you fix it yourself, HE has no faith in you, HE costs you both more money and time than this problem was worth...wow isn't a problem like this usually reversed gender roles???

Glad you got it fixed, take my comment lightly, it was 99% a joke lol :)

#20 ·
@mrgrimm;13143353
You are not the first person to tell me to get a divorce. I have $38,000 tied up in between 2 trucks all because he wants to go to work at a dead end job. I keep fixing his trucks and he doesnt make enough money to pay them so i have to use my money. We do have separate bank accounts though lol. I told him to quit his job and we wouldnt have to fix his trucks but he insists on working. All the money he earns goes into the fuel tank. He drives over 200 miles a day to work. A whole tank of diesel in one day. He only makes enough to put the diesel in the truck. Doesnt even have money to pay for the tag or insurance. Oh and he isnt letting me fix the crack. Says hes going to let his uncle do it. And that is why i sent him back home to his momma. Im contemplating selling the truck now that its running again.

#22 ·
I had this same issue my rear u joint broke and jammed the drive shaft and side loaded the transfer case and cracked my trans from pan flange to pan flange on a extended cab 4x4 it probably wouldn't have happen on a crew cab with a two piece drive shaft I ended up pulling it myself and got lucky and the trans shop local had a case he sold me for $100 bucks and charged me $300 to swap my internals and change anything that was questionable so while I had it out and saved the money doing the labor of removal and instal I got a billet low stall converter wow what a difference it made.

#23 · (Edited)
haines creek garage in Tavares fl ...depending on where your at in deland ..might tak 45 min to get truck to this location ..ROB will get u back on the road ..maybe same day..and cheaper /with quality service ..crap to late ..good luck

#24 ·
Rsater1, i live in umatilla so its not too far. It needs more work. Theres a crack in the transfer case as well and i told my husbands uncle how to seal it and they refused to listen so after 3 tubes of jb weld its still leaking. Also his uncle changed our differential fluid and removed the whole 4x4 drive shaft out of the differential. I am pissed because all the gears in there are probably messed up now and we need to get it fixed because i am not sure how bad it is to drive it like that.
His uncle and grandpa had enough nerve to tell me that my work on the fuel injectors was way easier than changing the differential fluid :rage:

#26 ·
Hains Creek Garage 473 wright before leasburg mall ..352-343-2410.steve is the owner..that's who u want to speak too. just start doing the work ..don't ask ..and I haven't done mine yet ..but have done plenty of trucks ..shouldn't take an hr ..1.5 tops if u have prob..what is his name ..im in Sorrento..

#27 ·
OH AND I GIVE U PROP'S FOR THE INJECTORS ...U GO GIRL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.