Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Codes P1747 and p0603

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Kevinx 
#1 ·
Hi, new to forum, first post. I have a 99 F350 7.3l with the 4R100 auto and 155,000 miles on it . I just had a local shop check the flashing AOD light and they came up with codes P1747 and p0603. On top of all that, I have one of those very loud torque converts the 99's sometimes came with. Combine that with the tranny fluid being dark and laced with metal particles and the shop recomends replacing the trans. It still is shifting and working for the time being but I guess it's a ticking bomb. The shop is talking about the cost being over $3000 plus for a rebuilt unit installed . My question is how hard is it to replace the trans myself. The last trans I changed was in an 84 ford van. The engine is stock and I do tow a large 40' trailer once in a while. Money is tight right now and I'm wondering what would be the most cost effective way of getting it done. I can't rebuild it myself so I need a rebuilt trans I can install myself. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

#3 ·
What kind of prices?

I have gotten 3 quotes so far. One from a mom an pop tranny shop to rebuild the one in the truck with upgraded torque converter and heavier duty parts. One from a mechanic who's worked on it before for $3450. He's quoted me using a rebuilt trans from Ford. And the last was from a local Ford dealer with them installing a rebuilt Ford unit for $3750 and that probably didn't include the tax. What are the prices you're getting and where do you live? I'm in Sacramento Ca.

#4 ·
Hi Z46 i live in Kingman Az and i am waiting for quotes to come in . I called John Woods in holtville Ca this morning and your looking at 5500 , then called Inglwood transmission in Fullerton Ca and he wants 4500 . I have 2 ford dealers im waiting on . I think for the lowest and best money spent might be the HD 4R100 from Ford as long as it comes w a 3 clutch torque converter .

#5 ·
at 217,000 my tranny took a crap.i have a 2002 my trans guy said if you tow alot like i do they go at 125,000 miles wanted to know how it lasted so long . said i changed it twice and used Amsoil Synthetic oil and a good filter. thats why you used synthetic now im going to put a bulet proof trans in for you.he rebuit my trans all new controls shift enhancers in valve body oversisze sprag gear a lock up torqe converter an a heavy duty oil cooler in front of the rad.cost me 3,300.00 worth every penny.tows better than it ever did and i get about 3 miles to a gallon better in gas mileage.

#6 ·
Do a quick search and you will find this is a regular conversation. The Ford reman is little better then a local rebuild, but it has a good warranty. Unfortunately most report lots of problems from them.
I'd contact Home page and talk to them. For a couple hundred more then the Ford. You get a rebuilt with all the updates, and problems solved. Along with a billet convertr. $2800 if I remem correctly

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.