99 7.3 skip need help #1 & #5 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2007, 09:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
99 7.3 skip need help #1 & #5

Guys, I need some help on this one.99 F 350 120,000 miles.Came to the shop for a skipping problem/no power.I thought uvc most probably or something of that nature.It will pass a buz test no problem and all the injectors sound good to me.It will not pass cylinder contribution test and says i cant remember exactly but a problem with number #1 and #5.I pulled that valve cover and the plug looked like it was moved back just a little so i unhooked it and reconnected it.I put it back together with the same results.I have not had one do this before and need some input.Thanks for any and all help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2007, 10:02 AM
Premium Member

Hard start; Stalling; Irractic idle and/or loss of power; DTC P1298 all models--95-96 Econoline in wet weather:
Injector Driver Module (IDM).
The IDM converts 12 volt battery power into 110 volts and activates the injectors as directed by the PCM. On some Econolines water may enter the IDM causing the above symptoms. To diagnose, remove the LH battery and the coolant overflow bottle and access the IDM which is mounted behind the coolant bottle. Remove the IDM(both ground strap bolts need to be removed) and shake it, listening for a sloshing sound. Water running off the roof and cowl areas can enter the IDM; there is a service replacement IDM--F6TZ-12B599-AA--that has improved sealing. Also install foam seals (1)F6UZ-13C795-AA and (2)-BA on the back of the IDM.
If the DTC P1298 is alone when performing code retrieval, replace the IDM; if other codes are present, diagnose them first.
A faulty IDM can cause driveablity concerns similar to a malfunctioning ignition module in a gas-powered vehicle. Under load it will seem as if the engine is starving for fuel. If you verify good fuel and oil delivery and pressure to the heads, and the Mass Fuel Desired, ICP, IPR and Fuel PW readings climb while the RPM's drop, suspect the IDM.

This is all I've been able to come up with so far, hope it helps out.
This is from the Dieselman's site.

Gord.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:05 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

if its passing buzz test i dont see it being anything electrical ,with that mileage its more and likely those cylinder injectors , but i wouldnt just replace injectors witout running manual compression test
Old 02-05-2007, 09:28 PM

Thanks guys for the replys.It was just surprising that the buzz test passed and the uvc was ok and i still had the skip.It will be fun to figure out now and Im sure I will learn alot on this one.I never get the easy uvc melted,I always get the ones that you have to do some diagnostics to figure them out.Anyway Im going to try to find me a compression tester tomm.Where do you guys get them from.I looked at one from snap on but no more than I use one I dont know if I want to spend that much.So the injectors can be fine on the elec side and still not work?Is that common?Thanks again
Old 02-10-2007, 03:24 PM

raplaced those two injectors today and it solved the problem.Thanks for the few that replyed.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:45 PM
Premium Member

Glad you got it figured out, hope it stays running right for you, at least for awhile anyways hahaha. Don't be a stranger around here.

Gord.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:55 PM

im on here everyday,just usually keep my mouth shut lol.even though I have to log on four or five times every time I visit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.