Dead in the water 2000F350 Dually - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2007, 10:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dead in the water 2000F350 Dually

Well 7 months ago I replaced my alt. and both batts. A few weeks ago it wouldnt start one morning so I jumped it off and took it to my buddies shop.Well after a coulpe of weeks of no start in morning and not finding the drain we isolated it to the alt. ,suppose it had a bad voltage regulator so we replaced it and lo and behold the next morning DEAD, by this time I am freakin out but he thinks we got a bad alt. from his supplier so on goes the third one. Next morning I turn key and truck is dead {temp out side is 40] so I jump it off and take it to my buddys shop and he put in two new batteries and it has started up two mornings in a row.I plug my block heater in so I will have heat for my kids but this shouldnt affect anything.Now the whole time this was going on once you jumped the truck off it would run and start all day but let it sit for more than 5 hours and dead!!!!! Needless to say I am so frustated and so is my boss due to being late from the truck not starting and the droppin it off at shop and so on , he is pushing me to sell it and buy an 2008 but this is the first time I havent had a truck or car note in 15 yrs. On the other side I am spending the money I was saving on repairs so its kinda a wash.I just bought this truck in may of 06 and other than the alt.,batts,and 8new injectors I have a pretty nice truck but now I feel I cant trust this truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2007, 04:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Well i tried to start it a little while ago and my new batts are both dead so i unplugged the new alt and am charging the new batts anybody have any ideas ,,,,my buddy is stumped and doesnt have time to mess with it as he teachs autoshop so can only work on it 1 or 2 hours a day. Should i take it to an auto electical shop or the dealership ,PLEASE any help would be gratefully taken
Old 02-04-2007, 04:47 PM
Premium Member

I have heard that the heater in the y pipe can short out and cause a draw on the system, you could check that by unplugging it and see if it stops the drain. I have a set of isolators on my batteries that shut them down if the voltage drop to a certain point. If they kick off, I just hit the remotes for them and it reconnects the batteries to start, and I have to reset the radio stations, but beats having to jump start every time i forget to turn something off.

Gord.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:30 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

need to get somene to run a draw test on electrical system , if someone knows how to do it right t shouldnt take that long to figure out what the draw is ,a draw test is where you run an amp meter between unhooked batter cables ,start pulig fuses till amp gauge drops showig o draw and then find which components are o that circuit ,then pinpoint down the problem, like i say ,a person hat knows how to do this ,shouldnt take that long
Old 02-05-2007, 09:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Well we ran a draw test and it still only draws when the alt is plugged in . w
We jiggled the alt wires and the draw went away but if you turn the key on and off it cimes back. Does this sound like another bad alt or is my truck fried!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My boss has given me the ultimatum YOU GOT # DAYS TO GET IT FIXED OR GO BUY A 2007 which I just cant swing the payments on a 55000.oo dollar truck,I paid cash for the 2000 plus repairs and thought i got a good deal but this is fixin to cost me my job.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:44 PM
Premium Member

If it gets down to your job, take it in and rent or borrow something to get you back and forth until it's fixed. Don't mess with your livelihood, just geterdone.

Gord.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:38 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

if only draws with the alternator pluged in ,sounds like thats your problem ,are you using ford alternator or aftermarket and how much was your draw
Old 02-06-2007, 06:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

1 1/2 amp and rebuilt alts
Old 02-06-2007, 06:30 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

that is to much pull, like i say though if you unplug the alternator and it goes away , could be the alternator ,or possibly wiring to alternator ,maybe thats why you have had repeat repairs
Old 02-07-2007, 05:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

put on motorcraft alt SAME PROBLEM

Put on a new in box ford alt and still have same problem,we have pulled every fuse in truck and still same thing! I am wondering whether to put a switch in alt wire to turn off alt when truck is parked.I took it to the dealership and 613dollars later they say nothing is wrong with my truck.But they replaced my new alt with another ford alt and drove truck home and once again the back of the alt is magnetic until you disconnect alt then it isnt.Plug it back in and you have a draw,,,,,,,,what gives.I pull a gooseneck for my company so i have to rent a truck while mine is in shop and so far it has been 125 a day that i am paying for a dodge with a gooseneck hitch and this has been going on for 3weeks. the 1500 i spent on a rental should have gone into truck.I talked to dealership about a new truck but now they say mine has a problem and will only give me 10000 for it and i have 20000 in it now.has anybody heard of a draw through the alt when the voltage reg is good or is something blowing my new alts up. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.