Weak turbo? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2007, 07:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Weak turbo?

I am looking to tap into any PSD turbo knowledge out there. My 2001 7.3 (95,000 miles) is coating the right rear corner of my bed and rear bumper with black soot. The power output is OK but seems just slightly off. I know it smokes if I bury the throttle, but most of the time I can not see any noticeable smoke in my mirrors under normal throttle conditions. I am running with an Airraid intake, Edge Evolution 60HP program, and a Banks 4" Monster exhaust. My boost gauge reads at about 10 psi while doing 55mph unloaded up some of the grades in my area (6%?). I am wondering if my turbo may be weak. Has anyone else experienced similar symptoms? If so what was the fix and how did you diagnose the problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2007, 07:53 AM
Jon

Boost

How high can you get your boost if you nail it? Is your exhaust straigh piped?
Old 02-03-2007, 07:58 AM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

10psi should be right on for light load conditions at that speed. Like Jon said, see what your max boost is when you hammer the throttle. It should hit 20+ above 3000 rpm.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:07 AM
Jon

Boost

Stock it should max at about 17psi but chipped around 20 or a lil more.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:58 AM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

The soot may be from dirty injectors, try running some Diesel Kleen through it.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:23 AM
Powerstrokin'

to the site. Plenty of knowledge to be found here. When you get the chance introduce yourself to everybody over in "introductions" and let us see your rig.

Rob
Old 02-03-2007, 10:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The boost gauge will hit about 20 psi under hard throttle or heavy load conditions. I bought this truck used with about 79,000 miles on it so I do not know anything about it's early life, but it lives a fairly easy life now. It tows my 24' travel trailer when we go camping, but otherwise it tows only light loads (fishing boat or motorcycle trailer) or nothing at all. I do run Stanadyne performance formula through it about every other tank of diesel. What is Diesel Kleen and where do you get it?
Old 02-03-2007, 10:20 AM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

It is a Cetane boost fomula that cleans the injectors and treats the fuel system. You can get it at Advance Auto.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:34 AM
Premium Member

The soot on the body is not that uncommon, every time you leave from a stop, your going to get a little with a programmer in it, some colours show it a little more than others. You might want to check and make sure all the clamps are tight on your intercooler and intake boots so your not loosing boost, but I don't think your to far off were you should be for what you have.

Gord.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Straycat, that's kind of what I was beginning to wonder. I've just never noticed it on other peoples trucks. My truck does have silver for the low half of it's XLT paint scheme so it would make sense that it shows more soot. Thanks for all the fast replies and help this is a great forum. I've been to other forums where people just try to make you feel stupid when you ask a question. So far, this one has been very helpful and informative.

Derrick, it sounds like the Stanadyne I use and the Diesel Kleen you recommend are very similar formulas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.