Black smoke, Lots of Extra power, Rough running, Wont idle, unplug icp runs good. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2009, 08:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Black smoke, Lots of Extra power, Rough running, Wont idle, unplug icp runs good.

Like the title says.
I have an 00 diesel excursion with an afe intake, 35" tires and 4" exhaust. It also had an ebay 5 position "chip" that plugged inline with the icp sensor. I have driven the excursion the last 30,000 miles it now has 200000 miles. 10000 miles ago i replaced the valve cover gaskets and under valve cover wire harnesses as well as the glow plugs. since then It has run great- until lately.
First thing I noticed on a long drive to the mountains was intermittent loss in power at freeway speeds, then Excessive power. The first time I slowed below 25 mph the engine was running as if I was cycling the throttle. Floored 1/10th of a second and then released 3/10ths of a second. When I put it in nuetral the rpms raised to 2500 without pedal input and then cycled down to 1000. But it was still cycling as if I was flooring and releasing the throttle. And when I did push the throttle while in park or nuetral, it would violently increase in RPM's and black smoke billows out the exhaust. And all the while it is REALLY loud.
After shutting down it required 1/2 throttle travel to start. without throttle input it would make one forceful attempt to run and then die. Removing the 5 position chip made no improvement or difference. An interesting note... the mpg display on the console stated I was getting about 23 mpg. Way higher then the usual 13mpg.
I read the posts on this site and figured it was the ipc valve sticking or the icp sensor. I removed the ipc and cleaned it out, and then upon reassembly there was no improvement.
THEN i disconnected the icp, and it ran real smooth. But the power is down, and the mpg is also down. I assumed the computer is reverting to 700 psi oil pressure. When I unplug the ipc it wont start.
I replace the icp with an ebay buy (120 bucks)- but it didn't help. So either I have a bad new icp, or a shorted wire harness? I unravelled the harness tracing the wires and found a few places the insulation had chaffed, but I electrical taped them and it still runs the same.
Do I have a bad new icp? A bad icp plug? the plug was not oil soaked it has been and is dry, with no visible defects. Or is there a short somewhere else in the wiring? Or something else?
I think it is running bad because the computer thinks the oil pressure at the injectors is low even though it is way too high. Too high of pressure is what i think is causing the power, black smoke, and inability to idle smoothly.
Anyone care to give this mystery a shot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2009, 08:58 PM
Coal Rolling = Posing

I'll give it a shot, probably worth about 2 cents...

If you fixed the chaffed wires AFTER you installed the new ICP, it mighta smoked when you started it and a couple wires touched? I've had shorts ruin things before. Not on a stroker, but the theory is the same right?

I'd definately follow some wires around and do a general cleanup before I spent another 120 bucks.

And wait for one of the techs input before buyin another one. You may have something else ruining it.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

A little more info

Thansk chevyraker81.
I hope i didnt' fry the new sensor. I don't know how to check it, to see if it is good. but look what i did.

Today i used a multimeter to measure voltages to the three wires that connect to the icp.
brown white always measures 5 volts when the key is on.
blue green measures .2 volt when icp plugged in key on engine not running. But it does something interesting depending on whether the engine is started with the icp plugged in or not.
If the plug is connected when I start the engine the engine runs rough, and has lots of power, and the voltage on the blue green wire ranges from 1.6 to 1.7 while idling. If I start the engine with the plug disconnected it runs smooth (with low power), and if i then reconnect the plug it keeps running smooth (with low power), and the voltage on that same wire measures only 1.0 while idling.

Does this help anyone with a direction for me to check next?

Also, if i try to check the voltage on third wire the engine quits. That wire has no voltage when the engine is not running.
Thanks for the input.

Last edited by AdamH; 06-16-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.