Oil Cooler O-Ring/Gaskets Replacement - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2009, 12:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil Cooler O-Ring/Gaskets Replacement

Well, I am going to attempt to throw the truck up on my lift tonight and replace all 4 O-rings and the gaskets since she is pissing a little more than acceptable now. I will post back on how it went and hopefully take some pics of the job. I am just hoping that it's just the O-rings cuz it looks like the cooler is rusted out and it is weeping through but I am betting it's just the O-rings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2009, 12:46 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
post pics and have fun

its a pita btw
Old 06-04-2009, 06:13 AM

*CLICK ON PICS AND THEY WILL ENLARGE*

Drained antifreeze . . .

Oil Cooler O-Ring/Gaskets Replacement-0603091918a.jpg

Oil Cooler O-Ring/Gaskets Replacement-0603091919a.jpg

Took block heater cord off and oil filter . . .

Oil Cooler O-Ring/Gaskets Replacement-0603091920a.jpg

There are two bolts up front and two in the rear mount. Once you get them out it would be a good idea to get ready for an antifreeze bath b/c when you pull the oil cooler off the block all the antifreeze comes rushing out the engine and onto you.

Mine was actually leaking from a rusted through pin-hole in the main tube so I ground the whole thing down and welded that one spot then coated it in a nice layer of copper high heat rtv . . .

Oil Cooler O-Ring/Gaskets Replacement-0603092245a.jpg

New O-rings installed . . . I used a rubber mallet by the way to separate the ends from the cooler tube. You might need to soak the ends in PB Blaster or some used oil first. One of the ends came off easy for me the end w/the filter on it however was a pita! I didn't want to put mine in a vise and risk crushing the tube so depending on what shape your's is in there are various ways to take the ends off the cooler tube.

I lubed up the 4 O-rings with synthetic grease and cleaned out the end caps b/c there was a ridge of gunk left on there from the old O-rings. The block and mating surfaces of the end caps I used a brillo pad and scraper on to clean back up. DO NOT USE A GRINDER!

Oil Cooler O-Ring/Gaskets Replacement-0603092259a.jpg

Last edited by Quickhorse; 10-26-2009 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:15 AM

I used tie-wire and snugged up the ends back onto the cooler tube and lined up the "marks" I had previously marked when I took it apart. Then I used a telescopic jack to compress the two ends back onto the cooler tube.

Oil Cooler O-Ring/Gaskets Replacement-0603092349a.jpg

Oil Cooler O-Ring/Gaskets Replacement-0603092349b.jpg
There are a number of ways I'm sure you could do this but in my case I used the weight of the truck and a telescopic jack to push the two ends over the o-rings and back together. Don't worry about lining up the two mounts b/c you can twist them once they are on over the o-rings. Just be sure you marked them when you pulled the tube off the truck so you know which end goes where.

Oil Cooler O-Ring/Gaskets Replacement-0603092351a.jpg

Oil Cooler O-Ring/Gaskets Replacement-0603092353a.jpg

Gaskets and seals from ford w/my discount were $54. Not sure but they are probably $70 or something normally. It's still better than $270 for a new oil cooler.

Oil Cooler O-Ring/Gaskets Replacement-0603092355a.jpg

All in all the project went well and I didn't have any problems that I couldn't handle. I would say to those that have one that is as rusted as mine was from plowing and what not to make sure you grind down the rust and use a pic to check for soft spots . . . then weld those . . . and coat tube in either high heat paint or in my case high heat rtv.

Hope the pics help someone in the future!

-Nate

Last edited by Quickhorse; 10-26-2009 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:38 AM
Banned

that is one nice shop i dont remember what i paid for the parts. i purchased the rings, gaskets, and the main tube.

the one thing i hate the most is the anifreeze. taking a bath in it SUCKS. cant get that smell of what so ever.

so is it all put back together? and no leaks?
Old 06-04-2009, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bockhold View Post
that is one nice shop i dont remember what i paid for the parts. i purchased the rings, gaskets, and the main tube.

the one thing i hate the most is the anifreeze. taking a bath in it SUCKS. cant get that smell of what so ever.

so is it all put back together? and no leaks?
Yup . . . got it all done last night! No leaks . . . Noticed the front main engine seal leaking also but that one can keep on leaking . . . lol
Old 06-04-2009, 12:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickhorse View Post
Yup . . . got it all done last night! No leaks . . . Noticed the front main engine seal leaking also but that one can keep on leaking . . . lol
does that require the pan to be dropped?
Old 06-04-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
does that require the pan to be dropped?
Yes, but not pulled out just dropped down. Of coarse if I went through that much trouble I would replace the pan while I was at it also b/c of rust. Or media blast mine and have it sealed and rino-lined!
Old 06-04-2009, 12:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickhorse View Post
Yes, but not pulled out just dropped down. Of coarse if I went through that much trouble I would replace the pan while I was at it also b/c of rust. Or media blast mine and have it sealed and rino-lined!
that would be hard just to drop it while still in the truck. way too many bolts to put back on in a tight space.

whats media blast?
Old 06-04-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
that would be hard just to drop it while still in the truck. way too many bolts to put back on in a tight space.

whats media blast?
Same as sand blasting just a different granule. This is what they use on older vehicles for a full body off restoration. It helps to find all the "bad" rust spots and imperfections in the metal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.