2000 Problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2006, 08:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2000 Problem

Hi - I am trying to avoid paying the local Ford Dealer $185 to tell me whats wrong with the 2000 Excursion with 110,000 miles on it. It had the Timing Senson replaced at ~50,000 miles.

Here's my problem:

When I get to a stoplight, it will just stop running. I turn the key off and then start it - it will run fine. It has done this four times.

While driving, it will have a hard shudder for a second and then keep running fine. It has done this three times.

Can anyone give me some advice to the probable cause of this?

Thanks,

Morgan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2006, 08:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Welcome limegold. That sounds like a PITA. mschn99 will probably have a good idea of where to start.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by limegold
Hi - I am trying to avoid paying the local Ford Dealer $185 to tell me whats wrong with the 2000 Excursion with 110,000 miles on it. It had the Timing Senson replaced at ~50,000 miles.

Here's my problem:

When I get to a stoplight, it will just stop running. I turn the key off and then start it - it will run fine. It has done this four times.

While driving, it will have a hard shudder for a second and then keep running fine. It has done this three times.

Can anyone give me some advice to the probable cause of this?

Thanks,

Morgan
the shudder almost sounds trans related to me....but as far as the engine dying... you may have to break down and take it in for diag. there are numerous things that can cause that. where it happens consistantly at only one type of driving, you can probably rule out the cam sensor....although it has a slight chance of causing it. i would probably think you had an issue with the IDM....maybe water intrusion into the wheel well is taking it out....or possibly there is an issue with the high pressure fuel system, like a leak....causing it not to be able to keep enough pressure at idle sometimes.....the leak would be easy to find if that is the culprit...but ive only seen that twice....see the thread in the Tech Files forum titled 7.3 oil leak diagnosis..........Marc
Old 02-13-2006, 06:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hi and thanks! I guess i'll take it in. The shudder is definatly not the trans. I also have a Jeep Liberty Diesel and they have the worst Torque Convertor ever put into a vehicle. They could rename the Liberty CRD to the 'Liberty Shudder'. Don't let anyone you know buy a Liberty CRD.

The problem that the Excursion has is the engine stopping for a second and then continuing to run. It will make you pucker for a second, as it usually happens on the freeway. I use the cruise control alot and it will turn it off when it happens.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:17 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via ICQ to overl0rd Send a message via AIM to overl0rd
Does it quit when you hit a bump? Could be a short, maybe in the ignition switch...it it touchy at all?
Old 02-15-2006, 07:31 PM

Crank sensor could be bad agin not that uncommon.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks! I ordered one and will try it. We just got some cold weather and the stalling has not been happening...
Old 02-18-2006, 10:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just changed the Cam Sensor (Crank Sensor?) today and it seems to be running great! Yesterday, it stalled five times on a 10mile drive. Thanks for all the help!

I also noticed that it is time for a new water pump...anyone have recomendations on what brand to get? I have 110K miles, so I guess i'll do all the belts and hoses also...what fun!
Old 02-19-2006, 08:06 AM

Go with a new water pump. The rebuilds are junk look for someone in your neck of the woods that is an Alliant dealer they have a new pump at a good price. If not make sure it's new from Ford or from an auto parts place. You can find a Alliant dealer on the web.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limegold View Post
I just changed the Cam Sensor (Crank Sensor?) today and it seems to be running great! Yesterday, it stalled five times on a 10mile drive. Thanks for all the help!

I also noticed that it is time for a new water pump...anyone have recomendations on what brand to get? I have 110K miles, so I guess i'll do all the belts and hoses also...what fun!
I have had good luck with the A/C Delco New water pumps, about half the price of what the dealer gets around here, Just installed one earlier this week $273.49. Last quote I got from the dealer was 3 years ago at $475.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.