Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

NO START, good CPS/Buzz test/battery/UVCG Clips/etc. HELP!

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Dave 
#1 ·
Driving '03 Excursion 7.3 with 82K down interstate. ENGINE DIES, all lights are on, coast to side of road, no restart. Just cranks like it should. Theft light is ON, flashing rapidly. Tried to address it as a PATS issue with no luck. Tow home.

Replace a fuse that blew a few times (#22 or #30) when trying to restart. Unplugged fuel filter heater/wastegate noid. No more theft light after new fuses or some tinkering, no sure what changed that. Still no start.

Tried two known working CPS. Pulled driver side valve cover to check harness and previous owner installed clips already. Glow plugs tested fine on passenger side when I have VC off. All fuses good, swapped around some relays in fuse box for fun.

Bought and ran AE from laptop. Buzz test passed (though half injectors were a weaker buzz (2,4,3,5).

Couldn't get any fuel pressure to read out on AE while KOEO (what should I read?)

Changed IDM with a known working unit from my 2002.

Wait to start comes on as it should. I hear the fuel pump fill the fuel bowl.

RPM,s don't bump while cranking. After 5 cranks the odometer light turns off, and 4x4 flashes once, but that may be normal. It seems I may have either a bad ground somewhere, or I left some light on because the original newer batteries were killed one day after I was messing with it. Noticed security lights tried to stay on, so I had to unhook my second set of batteries.

Checked all wires for wear, none found. :dunno:

I know this is long, but I would rather lay it all on the table, rather than make this a 20 questions game. The beast just cranks. Jackass needs any help you can offer. Thanks.

NOTE: ---- I did do a quick pressure wash on the truck and under hood after picking up some mud (shortly before this died) -----

See less See more
#2 ·
it's not reading any feul pressure? have you tested the pressure at the schrader valve? i know if the tach doesn't move when cranking, it's usually the CPS, but you've already tried that. I'm not a tech, but here's a bump for ya till maybe scuffy or another tech sees it...good luck buddy.

#3 ·
Hook up to the AE again. Go to live data meter. set 1 window for ICP(Injection ControlPressure). Try starting and see what this number shows. How high does it go after 5 seconds or so? Just an idea. Trying to help.

#4 ·
I ran these Injection Control Pressure numbers with the IDM still disconnected, so not sure if it matters.

ICP - 0 at rest, 40 for first five cranks, up to 3300 second five cranks then falls

ICP Volts - .22 at rest, 55 after cranking then drops

ICP Duty Cycle - 14.84 during whole test.

#6 ·
Where is your fuel pressure at when cranking?

#7 · (Edited)
AE says NOTHING, 0

ZIP

I did check the bowl/filter and it was full, had to open valve to reduce diesel level to drop filter back in. Hearing pump prime each time I cycle key.

Wadaya think?

I also get a P1670 code on both generic & enhanced, and the common p0603 & p1000 codes too. With the original IDM, I was getting some codes, but they may have been different. I can hook up again and check.

#8 ·
AE says NOTHING, 0

ZIP

Wadaya think?
I don't know how AE reads fuel pressure while cranking or if it does. That would be a question for sea71. But if it is actually showing zero fuel pressure i would say your pump is shot

#11 ·
That answers that:thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.