7.3L 02 Stalling, NO CLUE!!! Please Help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2009, 09:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3L 02 Stalling, NO CLUE!!! Please Help

I have a 2002 7.3L with an engine that will die periodically with no signs of why. I am 4000 miles on my most recent oil change. i run bio diesel and Vegetable oil in my truck (seperate tank, heating system, fuel lines and filter). i have changed the Camshaft sensor, no luck. Every time it dies i get no codes whats so ever. The first time it happened i got a IPC code. But the engine failure has happened several times sense and i get no codes or check engine light. i am at 121,000 miles and cant imagine its my oil pump or glow plugs or anything really. because i am not getting consistant signals from the truck of what it may be.

Has anyone run into similar problems? Me and my mechanic are very confused and are not really sure where to begin. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Or even a direction to start in.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2009, 09:09 PM
wriott

sounds like an intermittent ground. start checking them to see if you have a loose one...
Old 05-28-2009, 09:22 PM

i'm assuming you checked fuel pressure? if you get no codes thats a bugger to find! has to be mechanical somewhere where there is no sensors
Old 06-01-2009, 08:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ok, so i am getting codes now. ICP codes. nothing specific. i cant remember what the codes where exactly, but it was the code that says the pressure is either to low, or to high. unfortunatly it does not specify. its weird that it wont give me a check engine light. I had the oil changed and replaced a leaking seal to see if maybe i was getting some oil that was foaming or something. but that didnt work. the truck shut off again about 2 days after the work had been done. Im praying i dont need to replace the pump, but its starting to look like thats the case. im going to replace the ICP control module first (i think thats what its called.) my mechanic thinks this may be sticking and not allowing for the correct pressure.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So, truck has been running finefor the last few days but i have never run the truck longer than a few minutes and it never got up to running temp for a very long time. Today i have been doing a bit of driving, was doing fine until after the truck had sit for about an hour. it started just fine, then about 3 miles down the road it shut off, but only for about 2 seconds, and then started back up. no problems since. that was an hour ago.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Truck died again today. Twice this morning just after the truck hit normal engine temp. died first on the road, then started right up without needing the starter. was able to take it to my mechanic, we put the computer on it and got 1211 code. which narrows it down to 10 diefferent things. not much help. so we ran the computer and had it monitoring the icp pressure and rpms to try and see if its either the CPS or ICP censor. Ran the truck for about an hour and a half with nothing. took the truck back to m shop, let it sit for a few hours. Srated the truck and it died again about 3 miles down the road, just as it hit normal engine temp. now it wont start again so im going to let it cool off.

any ideas?
Old 06-09-2009, 04:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

My buddys did that. After spending a ton of money at the dealer i looked at it. I didnt know much about diesels but i know electronics. i traced it out to the plug that went to the crank sensor. it was rubbed through on this one spot and it periodically touched this small metal edge and the truck stalled. i found it by accident. I just happend to be tugging on the wire and it stalled.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:12 PM
Premium Member

almost the same thing is happening to me.
i have gone through 5 cps and get a different result everytime.
mine will start fine and if i let it warm up normal its ok. but if i dont, when i hit fourth and fifth gear it jerks and bucks like crazy. and get this, when i hit a pot hole it almost turns off but comes back on like normal. and also sometimes when i make a hard turn it will buck again. i am just exhausted with this. i think i will look at what you said rob.
thanks
Old 06-09-2009, 05:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolimit View Post
almost the same thing is happening to me.
i have gone through 5 cps and get a different result everytime.
mine will start fine and if i let it warm up normal its ok. but if i dont, when i hit fourth and fifth gear it jerks and bucks like crazy. and get this, when i hit a pot hole it almost turns off but comes back on like normal. and also sometimes when i make a hard turn it will buck again. i am just exhausted with this. i think i will look at what you said rob.
thanks
there is also a section of the main wiring harness where it can rub. I had to put some tape on his wires cause you could see the jacket getting rubbed.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:14 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob454 View Post
there is also a section of the main wiring harness where it can rub. I had to put some tape on his wires cause you could see the jacket getting rubbed.
Where can I find this section? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.