Fuel? leak - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2007, 07:07 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel? leak

When I came home from the golf course today I noticed a wet spot on my driveway. I stuck my fingers in it and smelled it, not oil, but doesn't smell like diesel either ( might be ulsd?). Anyway leak would be coming from right (passenger) side of motor. Is the fuel filter located on that side? or maybe the fuel water drain? I'm new to working on my own rig, so any help is really appreciated. Thanks, Kevin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2007, 02:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

prolly the water drain off lever not closed all the way. look on top of the motor on the fuel filter canister and on the passenger side back of it there should be a yelow lever, just push it to the closed position and see if that fixes it
Old 01-30-2007, 02:47 PM
Jon

Yes

Check also to see if the valve is just plain leaking along with if it is open. They are bad to go out.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:19 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I looked on the top of the motor (valley) and found a canister about 4" in diameter toward the front of the valley. I assume this is the fuel filter canister. Like you said dirty, there was a yellow lever-looking tab on the passenger side rear of the canister. I tried to gently move the lever-no go. It doesn't move. I didn't find any leaking around the lever either. I apologize for my mechanical ineptitude--but its improving.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:54 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

it should move back and forth, might want to get that fixe if its stuck ,is the valley of the engine dry
Old 01-31-2007, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott whisenhunt View Post
it should move back and forth, might want to get that fixe if its stuck ,is the valley of the engine dry
For the most part it is dry. A little oil, about the size of a half dollar. I've had to have the hpop replaced in the past and they never did totally clean out the valley, so I think it is old stuff. Also no other evidence of leakage in the area, just diesel on the ground on passenger side.

Last edited by NWStroker01; 01-31-2007 at 09:08 PM.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:01 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

if the valley id fairly dry and you are sure its fuel, check the fuel return line on the back side of the right head ,there is o-ring there that could leak as well and run down back side of engine
Old 02-07-2007, 05:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Fuel on passenger side is...

For the most part it is dry. A little oil, about the size of a half dollar. I've had to have the hpop replaced in the past and they never did totally clean out the valley, so I think it is old stuff. Also no other evidence of leakage in the area, just diesel on the ground on passenger side.

Check for the end of a black drain hose that hangs close to the front axle on the passenger side. That's the drain for the fuel/water separator (the yellow lever). Mine leaked most when the engine started up, then stopped. After a week or two, it leaked all the time.

Replacing the O-rings fixed the problem. Cost was an hour of time and $6 for the rings.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:16 AM

Thanks Bama, I found some viton o-rings on ebay for $4.50. Just waiting for delivery.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:22 AM
Fishing Fanatic

What color was the liquid you found?? How far out from the motor on the passenger side?? Had you been driving the truck?? Could have been condensation dripping, like when you run the A/C. I know mine has a nice puddle under it passenger side toward the back of the motor, but closer to the fender. Just my two cents. Hopefully you have found your problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.