Major Oil Consumption - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2009, 03:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Major Oil Consumption

I need some help!! My 2001 7.3 is drinking oil. About a qt every 75-100 miles. I have done the usual fixes with no change. Repairs include--injector o-rings, twice! Replaced the injectors (all 8) with new not rebuilt. Replaced turbo with new not rebuilt unit, replaced IPR, and I've fixed every external oil leak no matter how small. Even replaved HPOP because it had a leak. I don't have any oil in the water or fuel so the injector cups can be ruled out. Compression is 355-360 in all cylinders. Blowby test was within specs. I even verified end play on valves to rule out valve guide wear.. They are all ok. Ther is no oil hitting the ground, no blue smoke from the exhaust and no oil in the down pipe. There is a small amount of oil in the cooler tubes but, thats normal. I am out of ideas!!! The truck has 188,000 run perfect and has great power. What the hell is going on! Anybody out there have any ideas??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2009, 03:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

hey man...I feel your pain...I have a '99 that drinks the same amount. I have 273000 miles on mine. I haven't done any fixes like you have on yours, but it is good to know that nothing helped, for me, not you! I have been posting about my problem but nobody responds either. I think we stumped everyone! If you find anything out, let me know. Please! Let's hope we can find something out soon.....it is getting expensive to keep adding so much oil every time...I'm supposed to be saving money for college, not pouring it into my truck! Anyways, I'm up the same creek you are...
Old 05-25-2009, 03:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Thats interesting... you have me stumped..

Correct me if im wrong but isnt compression supposed to be like around 380 or higher? I cant remember. Ask dirk.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:50 PM
Other vehicle is an F250

I'm watching this thread. My 2001 (134,000) seems to be using some oil too now. I don't have any major external oil leaks that I can find.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

hey guys....I say we start our own club...like powerstroke-n-oil-leaking club or something! Maybe if we get enough of us together we will be able to figure this out...it's driving me crazy! I'll be seein' y'all.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Check the fuel in the fuel filter and see if it looks oily. Probably is the injector o-rings.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:04 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

your compression readings are entirely to low , 7.3 will not generally even fire the fuel after 360 lbs or lower, i would have guessed internal injector concern , its very seldom injector o-rings that will cause oil loss like that either, how was the blow by reading checked ,that would be my first question at this point
Old 05-27-2009, 04:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the help!

Scruffy828,

MY truck is as follows
01 F350 4x4 auto
AFE dry media filter w/intake tubes
AFE 4" turbo back exhaust
Edge evolution tuner
Stock height and tires

Thanks for the info, here is the answers to you questions:

Blow-by was tested with some sort of gauge attached to the oil fill tube. To waht spec I have no idea.

Truthfully I've been building gas engines for years but, as for diesel, I know just enough to not poke them with a sharp stick! I have to trust the shop I take it to. Malone diesel in Dripping Springs Texas-BTW.

This truck has got me so confused and broke at this point. Most of the repairs that have been done were completed by a shop that turned out to have no business working on the truck. Changed 5 injectors and an IDM for an issue that turned out to be injector harnesses! The turbo was cracked. Have no idea what caused that. After talking to Malone about your thought on internal injector leaks, they felt "its as good a chance as any". I've changed 5 injectors (not 8 like I said in my original post-brain fart, replaced all 8 glow plugs) what's 3 more. It's only money *sigh*

The reall confusing issue is this truck has no performance issues. It starts from cold with a bump of the key, has all the power it ever had, doesn't blow oil smoke in anyway. The damn thing tows my 11000 lbs trailer like it's not even there!

Just curious about one thing you said. All injector are rebuilt? According to Pensacola Diesel (thats who I purchased mine from) I bought NEW Alliant injectors. Not rebuilt in any way. I even called them after you said that. Theyy assured me they are indeed new. Just curious.

You mention my compression readings. I must not have gotten the levels right. The motor runs perfectly, starts easily. Somewhere along the line I must have gotten the wrong numbers.

Again thanks for all your help

Last edited by Dentaway2; 05-27-2009 at 04:53 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:34 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

i dont think you have a compression issue , like you said numbers may have been wrong , if it were that low you would know it , not sure about how they ran the blow by test, lets put that thia way , if it were that bad you would know it without the test, if this were my truck and i had replaced 5 injectors and was still having an issue then i would replace the other 3 if the option werent there to test them in the pressure test tool, one injector can cause this issue by itself , ive seen it more than once , you questioned alliant on there injector status and without exact info i cant say , but i do know all ford injectors are reman when bought nd i thought that is what you said before , i have many alliant injectors at my shop with no problems , so that wouldnt bother me to run those , i see people like yourself having issues and it seems that alot of times its not because the shop its at doesnt know diesels , but just havent seen quite the volume of these trucks to have seen alot of the things ive seen in 20 years with ford , and i know that if i had the truck i could find the problem in a couple hours , wish i could help more , could have saved you alot of money
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.