leaking fuel & slipping clutch - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2007, 07:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
leaking fuel & slipping clutch

Just signed up in hopes of some wisdom here, I searched the forums first but was unable to come up with an answer so here I post...

Problem #1) Several times after changing my fuel filter I have had a very difficult time getting the housing to seal again - seems to take an excessive amount of force to get it to stop blowing diesel all over the place, I'm using NAPA Gold filters and was told by the Ford garage that is my problem but they seem to have the identical "triangle" shaped o-ring and I have the same problem every time that I change my filter. Also, I talked with a Ford mechanic that said he has problems getting them to seal too, it just doesn't seem right.

Problem #2) After above problem experienced I have had trouble with my clutch slipping from what seems to be diesel getting into the bell housing - does that seem reasonable? Ford actually replaced 1 clutch while under warranty and said that it was completely smoked, actually changed a few things as I recall...not under warranty any more and a recent fuel filter change (and ensuing seal troubles) has caused the clutch to start leaking again. Is there a fix for this? IOW is there some sort of way to seal the bell housing area off? Or is there some sort of cleaner that I can use to try to "dry" the clutch out?

Go easy on me I'm not a mechanic, just mechanically inclined kinda.

'01 F350 w/7.3L Powerstroke, 6 spd. manual
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2007, 08:13 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
LOL @ just mechanically inclined, kinda.

As for problem #1 - check the tech files there is something in there about fuel drain Orings. You may want to check that out. Also if you replace the fuel filter did you put diesel on the Oring for it? Sometimes I've heard that doesn't seal well and you can spring a diesel leak.

And for problem #2 - I have no idea - I've had my auto tranny out in my ranger and my clutch apart in my Mazda (both pickups) but never a ZF... sorry.

Free bump post for ya
Old 01-30-2007, 09:04 PM
Premium Member

Sorry, I can't help you with this one. But Im sure one of the tech's will be along with an answer on these Questions. I just wanted to welcome you to POWERSTROKE.ORG. I hope you enjoy the site.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNFROZENCAVEMAN View Post
Just signed up in hopes of some wisdom here, I searched the forums first but was unable to come up with an answer so here I post...

Problem #1) Several times after changing my fuel filter I have had a very difficult time getting the housing to seal again - seems to take an excessive amount of force to get it to stop blowing diesel all over the place, I'm using NAPA Gold filters and was told by the Ford garage that is my problem but they seem to have the identical "triangle" shaped o-ring and I have the same problem every time that I change my filter. Also, I talked with a Ford mechanic that said he has problems getting them to seal too, it just doesn't seem right.

Problem #2) After above problem experienced I have had trouble with my clutch slipping from what seems to be diesel getting into the bell housing - does that seem reasonable? Ford actually replaced 1 clutch while under warranty and said that it was completely smoked, actually changed a few things as I recall...not under warranty any more and a recent fuel filter change (and ensuing seal troubles) has caused the clutch to start leaking again. Is there a fix for this? IOW is there some sort of way to seal the bell housing area off? Or is there some sort of cleaner that I can use to try to "dry" the clutch out?

Go easy on me I'm not a mechanic, just mechanically inclined kinda.

'01 F350 w/7.3L Powerstroke, 6 spd. manual
ok im no tech either just kinda mechnicaly inclined like you...... but i have the same truck just mines an auto and i had diesel leakin out of the filter housing and it would puddle up right inbetween the blocks....... i went to a local diesel shop and he said its pretty common with our engine and that ford makes an updated setup for that problem and i got it put on and hadnt had any problems yet....i also have fuel leaking from the top of my tank i have yet to figure that out.... hope i helped out
Old 01-30-2007, 10:14 PM
Premium Member

Red does it leak only when its running, or only when it's full? You could have a problem with the return line if it's when your running, and if its only when it's full there may be a problem with the large cap that the fuel and return lines go through to enter the tank. But either way it sounds like a good opertunity for the Hutch and Harpoon mods, cause either way you have to drop the tank, or lift the box.

Gord.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:19 PM
Premium Member

http://www.itpdiesel.com/other/FuelS...ankRemoval.pdf
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a link to removeing the fuel tank if you need it.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by straycat View Post
Red does it leak only when its running, or only when it's full? You could have a problem with the return line if it's when your running, and if its only when it's full there may be a problem with the large cap that the fuel and return lines go through to enter the tank. But either way it sounds like a good opertunity for the Hutch and Harpoon mods, cause either way you have to drop the tank, or lift the box.

Gord.
im pretty sure its the large cap that the lines run though cuz i can feel the condensation around it...... it only happens when its full..... ......my cousin runs a shop though thats where i do alot of my stuff. specially cuz i dont have a jack or stand that i can lower the tank with..... thanks though your good help
Old 01-30-2007, 11:36 PM
Premium Member

No problem Red, anytime. Wish I could help out Unfrozen with his fuel leak, but mine works great, and I have an auto. But I do Recall that any top end leaks will go down in that area. I wonder if the O rings are leaking. The Fuel filters that I buy already have the cap on them, and it's a new cap every time, and I've never had a problem with them.

Gord.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintain View Post
LOL @ just mechanically inclined, kinda.

As for problem #1 - check the tech files there is something in there about fuel drain Orings. You may want to check that out. Also if you replace the fuel filter did you put diesel on the Oring for it? Sometimes I've heard that doesn't seal well and you can spring a diesel leak.

And for problem #2 - I have no idea - I've had my auto tranny out in my ranger and my clutch apart in my Mazda (both pickups) but never a ZF... sorry.

Free bump post for ya
Thanks for the free bump, I think..
To answere your question - yes I put diesel on the o-ring just as the directions indicated to do. The fuel drain o-rings that there has been a lot of discussion about on the site are fine.

Quote:
.... I just wanted to welcome you to POWERSTROKE.ORG. I hope you enjoy the site.
Thanks... I was on here years ago (I think) before it was so "official" when I had a problem with the clutch on my '96 not fully disengaging..someone offered an adjustable clutch link part # for a mustang that took care of the problem immediately - worked like a charm and was cheap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by red73psd View Post
....ford makes an updated setup for that problem and i got it put on and hadnt had any problems yet...
Thanks, I'll talk to Ford again. That CHEVROLET thing at the bottom is spectacular!

Quote:
....But I do Recall that any top end leaks will go down in that area. I wonder if the O rings are leaking. The Fuel filters that I buy already have the cap on them, and it's a new cap every time, and I've never had a problem with them.
Gord - what kind of filters are you buying? It is most definitely the o-ring that seals the cap that is leaking, again I can always get it to seal but it takes a lot of torque and several tries. Also, have you heard of something I might be able to use to "dry" my clutch out? It's not like a ton of diesel gets down there but that stuff's slippery and clutches aren't cheap.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:31 AM
Premium Member

I will get the name and part number for the cap I use for you a little latter, and The only thing I can think of to use on the clutch itself is brake cleaner, Its non oil based and works on brake shoes, but the diesel soakes in pretty good, so I don't know how well it will work on it. as soon as i get to my truck I'll post back with the cap # for you.

Gord.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.