cam sensor - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2007, 04:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
cam sensor

well its about time for a came sensor because my truck just cutt off every now and the, but can the cam sensor make your truck run kinna ragged ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2007, 04:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

it's my understanding that the way ford designed these engines, the cam sensor is the only way that the computer know the engine is even run. if the cam sensor isn't working right, the computer will get messed up info.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:25 PM
The Fat Mod

Charlotte? Sweet, another NC guy. Ebay has the CPS for cheap, like $50 cheap. Get ya one, or two, that way you have a spare, and you should be good to go. Sounds like the natorious CPS tho.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:28 PM
Jon

Make sure

You get a FORD one though. But yes they can make it run rough. Rare but possible. Its usually all or none. If it runs really rough its prob an oil system issue.

Ofcourse fuel supply is posible also.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yea what happened to my truck was . . . . .
its my dads old worktruck he was coming down fancy gap here in north carolina hauling a 48 foot gooseneck and he said it sounded like a tractor trailer came by him with the jake brake on but when the truck passed he still heard it then the noise whent to a sudden ticking noise well he stoped and it was still ticking real bad, well he took it to the ford place and since it was a company truck was under enterprise ( like triple A for trucks ) well it was there for a while and then they sent it to another ford place and they took the whole moter apart and didnt see or find any thing wrong with it so they put it all back together and when they put it back together the bent the down pipe coming off the turbo so i had a bad exhaust leak well i got that fixed and the owner of my dads company wanted to get rid of it, so my dad since nowing the history of the truck bout it for $6000, bought him a 6.0 and gave me his old 7.3 its running kinda ragged and i think i got a little injector problem but just trying to get it back running right !
Old 01-26-2007, 06:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

my truck made a ticking noise a couple years back, ended being the fuel pump.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:14 AM

Cps

I taled with my dealer and they want 250 bucks to have a CPS installed. I've heard here on the forum that I can buy a CPS off ebay for about $50. But I've never installed one. Is it an easy install? Any help would be appreciated. Kevin
Old 01-30-2007, 08:33 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWStroker01 View Post
I taled with my dealer and they want 250 bucks to have a CPS installed. I've heard here on the forum that I can buy a CPS off ebay for about $50. But I've never installed one. Is it an easy install? Any help would be appreciated. Kevin
The CPS is held inplace by a 10mm bolt. The CPS is located above the crank pulley at 1 o'clock. It should have a metal tab sticking off it and it has a wire plug going to it. The way I find it the easiest to replace is to take the 10mm bolt out pull the CPS out of the hole it goes in, Then disconnect the wire, put the new one inplace then hook the wire up to it. For easy installation take a little bit of oil and put it on the o-ring that seals the CPS hole.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:23 PM

Thanks Big, you are the man. Sounds easy enough that even I might be able to replace it.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:57 PM
Emergency Services

kevin it's not hard but, u might also need a big screw driver to pry the old one out. sometimes they are a little sticky. unplug the wiring harness, take the bolt out then try to put it out while twisting. if that doesn't work. go and get a long screw driver and pry that little ba.tered out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.