Mileage (again, sorry) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2007, 10:45 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mileage (again, sorry)

My buddy (with no internet) has a 99 PSD CC 4x4 4.10 (or 4.11, whatever it takes) with an aluminum dump. He's been complaining about the low fuel mileage since before the dump bed. He consistantly get's around 8mpg, his best with the p/u bed was about 10mpg. I know that this is low, but I'm not familiar with PSDs and don't know what to try. His only mod is a Motorvator chip. It now has a little better bottom end but the mileage still sucks. Might there be something worn out or broken we should check before we start chasing the mod train? Thanks for your input ahead of time. Thanks and don't hate me because I have a DMax, I'm trying to help out a PStroker!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2007, 10:51 PM
The Fat Mod

Welcome to the Org. We dont ya, we want to convert ya

Can you get us some more info on his truck? Everything you can, and that will help with the problem.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:49 PM
Premium Member

welcome to the O.R.G., good to have you here. what kind of chip did you say he had in it? I have never heard of those, do you know who makes it, or who's tunes are on it? I'ts possable that the chip may be part of the problem. Some of the older chips do not have the tunes that are available now, and were not exactly---I am trying to be tactful here---Any f------ good, there I thought I handled that Quite well don't you? I am not trying to be smart, just trying to pass on my thoughts. The more info you can get on the truck the better as BRRS up above said. Are you sure it's a 4.10 in the back end? they also came with the 4.30 diff as well.in the duallys. Anyways good luck with it, and get more info to us so we can pretend we know what were talking about hahaha.

Gord.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:12 AM

It's a Motorvation: Motorvation Ford Performance Modules: MVC-299001 - summitracing.com

He told me that 4.10 was the ratio, although I guess it is possible he got it wrong. Everything else is stock, exhaust, induction, everything. He bought the chip because of the poor mileage, he says that now, with the chip, he can spin tire and it shifts a little better, that's the only difference. The stock tune does the same thing, mileage wise. He says his fuel mileage has been low since he got the truck in 02. He thinks everybody else is lying about their mileage!! This truck get's worked, he's an excavator and it's broken in, in the neigborhood of 110k miles. I'm not exactly sure what else to tell you, ask and if I know I'll tell ya or I'll ask him. Thanks!

Last edited by DieselWarrior; 01-26-2007 at 04:30 AM.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:20 AM
Jon

Whens the last time

he changed the air and fuel filter? Is his driving all in town or in and out? Cuz I only get about 14 with mine in town and 18-20 on the highway.

As a matter of fact. With it being cold lately i'm only getting about 12 in town.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:33 AM

All of his maintenance is current, and he has never seen over 10mpg in any kind of driving. Could he have a pump or injector problem maybe? I'm not pretending to know, I have only wrenched on gassers, just throwing stuff out there.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:36 AM

We just went on a hunting trip from Pa to NM and the fella who drove had a 01 PSD w/ FIPK, Superchips tuner and straight pipe. He got a little over 18 mpg (computer indicated, not hand calc) pulling an 8 ft motorcycle box trailer at avg of 75-80 mph. It made Don sick!
Old 01-26-2007, 05:28 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Dont trust the computer after you chip it or program it they arent right

For Example my buddies Powerstroke with a hypertech progammer told him he was getting 30mpg

My other buddy with a DMaxes computer said he was getting 97 mpg at 60mph Yeah right i wish
Old 01-26-2007, 06:16 AM

I've heard that before, and I don't doubt it. One other tidbit, he just told me that he does definitely have 4.10s and also he says that at idle the exhaust is "so strong it burns your eyes" if you stand at the back of the truck. Is this normal for this generation of engine? Mine isn't that strong, but my LBZ has a substantially different fuel delivery setup.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:31 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Theres definately something wrong with that truck. That kind of milage is what i was seeing on mine when i had bad injectors. Maybe he has some injectors failing as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.