99 F250 Feels like a miss when accelerating and when level speed out. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2009, 04:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
99 F250 Feels like a miss when accelerating and when level speed out.

Trying to help a friend out so any help is appreciated.
99 F250 7.3 4X4 W/Banks Six Gun and Trans Commander 244k
It feels like a gas engine with a miss when you first accelerate and when you run at consistent speed or RPM.
When it started he took it to a Ford dealer and they pulled the following codes:
PO476 Exhaust pressure control valve performance
PO541 Intake Air heater circuit low
P1140 Water in fuel
P1211 ICP pressure above/below
They replaced F4TZ 6731 A : KIT - ELEMENT & GASKET
16 Each DOIL - Not sure what this is but this is what receipt says.
Changed oil and filter - Drained water and fuel seperator
Retested ICP is stable. #8 injector fault.
Dealer wanted $1100.00 to repair injector so he decided to take it to a well known diesel shop and this is what they did per there receipt.
7.3 ab fuel injector $268.45 (part)
Troubleshoot for #8 injector contribution fault. Install bypass plug in tuner. Run contribution and buzz test. R&R intake pipes and valve cover remove #8 glow plug and run compression test (cylinder had 500 psi at time of test) replace #8 injector. Did not fix problem. Run continuity test from IDM to #8 injector (passed). Replaced IDM and Ecm with test units. Still has problem.
Suspect engine has internal cam or lifter problem on #8 cylinder.
Customer declined repair. (all info of receipt provided by shop).
Doesn't end there. Someone put him in touch with the supposedly 7.3 guru that works for a large ford dealer that works on the side for a few people and this what he did.
Said he found a short in the wiring. Pulled the fuel tank and changed the screen on the fuel pump. Changed the fuel filter. And changed the fuel regulator back by the tank. This is what he told my buddy and that he was stumped and doesn't have any more idea's. So my buddy is about $1200.00 in and still has the original problem. The check engine light is not on but I have not had a chance to scan it to see if there are any codes stored. I do apologize about the length of my post but I just wanted to be as detailed as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2009, 04:47 AM
Tennessee Powerstrokes

Maybe it is a lifter or valve problem. I'm with the so called guru,
Old 05-07-2009, 05:39 AM

Does it have the Grey CPS? I chased a #8 injector failure for a bit. I think I changed it for no reason.

Does it miss at idle? Or certain RPM range?
Old 05-07-2009, 05:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm not sure about the CPS but i will look when he comes later today. The miss seems worse around 1500 RPM'S but it does it when you are accelerating from a stop or low speed and when ever you level off at any speed or RPM. But it does seem more consistent around 1500 RPM'S.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:56 PM

Not for nothing I went thru a miss at 1500 that I swapped a bunch of parts trying to figure out. IDM's, Injector harnesses, #8 Injector, IPR, ICP. It turned out to be injector O-rings. They were toasted.

Mine ran great cold. It would accelerate up to 1500 and kind of get stuck there skipping and just kind of breaking up so to say. A little more gas and it smoothed out. Mostly in 2nd and 3rd gear (auto). It would only do it after about 15 minutes of driving or when warmed up somewhat and after sitting overnight it would white/blue smoke a tad on startup. It would also sound "ragged" or break up at a certain foot pedal position. It would decelerate funny too almost like there was an injector hanging up.

If you ease your foot into the pedal more or less does it go away?

Just sharing my experience. Maybe you can benefit from it maybe not. Keep us posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.