New here... looking for some advice. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2009, 04:41 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New here... looking for some advice.

Hey all, I'm new to the forum and just got my first PSD... it's an 01 and I just picked it up. It has 188K miles on it, don't know much else about it, I picked it up from a dealer who bought it at an auction.
I'm in love with the truck, but it seems to be running a bit rough on the bottom end. I've searched the forum, but haven't seen anything describe by exact issue.
When I accelerate, below 1500 rpm, it hesitates or hicups a bit and tends to bump a bit when idling. If I get in the gas or cruise on the highway closer to 2000 rpm, it runs fine.
Sometimes, kinda weird, when driving slow, for a moment, the diesel knock just goes away, like it smoothes out... strangest thing.
Any input would be greatly appreciated....
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2009, 03:06 PM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsmith View Post
Hey all, I'm new to the forum and just got my first PSD... it's an 01 and I just picked it up. It has 188K miles on it, don't know much else about it, I picked it up from a dealer who bought it at an auction.
I'm in love with the truck, but it seems to be running a bit rough on the bottom end. I've searched the forum, but haven't seen anything describe by exact issue.
When I accelerate, below 1500 rpm, it hesitates or hicups a bit and tends to bump a bit when idling. If I get in the gas or cruise on the highway closer to 2000 rpm, it runs fine.
Sometimes, kinda weird, when driving slow, for a moment, the diesel knock just goes away, like it smoothes out... strangest thing.
Any input would be greatly appreciated....
thanks
I'd start off by getting a good scan tool with functional test capabilities & run an injector buzz test & contribution test to see how the injectors are doing. Give it a Key On Engine Off(KOEO), Key On Engine Running(KOER), & Continuous Memory checks to see if there's any other codes. Also, check the condition of your fuel filter & the bottom of the fuel bowl. I'd go ahead & drain the fuel bowl & replace the filter anyway if you know it hasn't. Let us know how you make out.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarRider View Post
I'd start off by getting a good scan tool with functional test capabilities & run an injector buzz test & contribution test to see how the injectors are doing. Give it a Key On Engine Off(KOEO), Key On Engine Running(KOER), & Continuous Memory checks to see if there's any other codes. Also, check the condition of your fuel filter & the bottom of the fuel bowl. I'd go ahead & drain the fuel bowl & replace the filter anyway if you know it hasn't. Let us know how you make out.

I would start with a fuel filter and maybe an oil and filter change if it has'nt been done.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:18 PM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike&April View Post

I would start with a fuel filter and maybe an oil and filter change if it has'nt been done.
Oh yeah! I forgot to say . I wanted to put that @ the end of my post.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:54 PM

Thanks Cory, Mike&April...
funny getting home and reading your posts, I just changed the fuel filter today, it seemed to help a bit, but still running a bit rough. I had it scanned, and seems I have two bad injectors, 5 and 8 I think. It's going in tuesday for replacements. Just hoping that's all it is... I'd hate to drop over 500 clams replacing the injectors and find out there's more wrong with it. Guess we'll see.
Thanks for the welcome!!!!!
Kevin

2001 F350 CC SRW 4X4
Old 05-03-2009, 05:02 PM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsmith View Post
Thanks Cory, Mike&April...
funny getting home and reading your posts, I just changed the fuel filter today, it seemed to help a bit, but still running a bit rough. I had it scanned, and seems I have two bad injectors, 5 and 8 I think. It's going in tuesday for replacements. Just hoping that's all it is... I'd hate to drop over 500 clams replacing the injectors and find out there's more wrong with it. Guess we'll see.
Thanks for the welcome!!!!!
Kevin

2001 F350 CC SRW 4X4
Either way, let us know how you make out!
Old 05-03-2009, 05:04 PM
Emergency Services

welcome to the org man, i hope you have an easy fix
Old 05-03-2009, 05:07 PM
wriott

welcome to the addiction, hope the fix goes well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.