New here... looking for some advice. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-30-2009, 04:41 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New here... looking for some advice.

Hey all, I'm new to the forum and just got my first PSD... it's an 01 and I just picked it up. It has 188K miles on it, don't know much else about it, I picked it up from a dealer who bought it at an auction.
I'm in love with the truck, but it seems to be running a bit rough on the bottom end. I've searched the forum, but haven't seen anything describe by exact issue.
When I accelerate, below 1500 rpm, it hesitates or hicups a bit and tends to bump a bit when idling. If I get in the gas or cruise on the highway closer to 2000 rpm, it runs fine.
Sometimes, kinda weird, when driving slow, for a moment, the diesel knock just goes away, like it smoothes out... strangest thing.
Any input would be greatly appreciated....
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 05-03-2009, 03:06 PM
The Screwy HEUI
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Smithfield, RI
Posts: 4,585
Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsmith View Post
Hey all, I'm new to the forum and just got my first PSD... it's an 01 and I just picked it up. It has 188K miles on it, don't know much else about it, I picked it up from a dealer who bought it at an auction.
I'm in love with the truck, but it seems to be running a bit rough on the bottom end. I've searched the forum, but haven't seen anything describe by exact issue.
When I accelerate, below 1500 rpm, it hesitates or hicups a bit and tends to bump a bit when idling. If I get in the gas or cruise on the highway closer to 2000 rpm, it runs fine.
Sometimes, kinda weird, when driving slow, for a moment, the diesel knock just goes away, like it smoothes out... strangest thing.
Any input would be greatly appreciated....
thanks
I'd start off by getting a good scan tool with functional test capabilities & run an injector buzz test & contribution test to see how the injectors are doing. Give it a Key On Engine Off(KOEO), Key On Engine Running(KOER), & Continuous Memory checks to see if there's any other codes. Also, check the condition of your fuel filter & the bottom of the fuel bowl. I'd go ahead & drain the fuel bowl & replace the filter anyway if you know it hasn't. Let us know how you make out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 05-03-2009, 03:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Elizabethville, Pa
Posts: 212
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarRider View Post
I'd start off by getting a good scan tool with functional test capabilities & run an injector buzz test & contribution test to see how the injectors are doing. Give it a Key On Engine Off(KOEO), Key On Engine Running(KOER), & Continuous Memory checks to see if there's any other codes. Also, check the condition of your fuel filter & the bottom of the fuel bowl. I'd go ahead & drain the fuel bowl & replace the filter anyway if you know it hasn't. Let us know how you make out.


I would start with a fuel filter and maybe an oil and filter change if it has'nt been done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 05-03-2009, 03:18 PM
The Screwy HEUI
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Smithfield, RI
Posts: 4,585
Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike&April View Post


I would start with a fuel filter and maybe an oil and filter change if it has'nt been done.
Oh yeah! I forgot to say . I wanted to put that @ the end of my post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 05-03-2009, 04:54 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks Cory, Mike&April...
funny getting home and reading your posts, I just changed the fuel filter today, it seemed to help a bit, but still running a bit rough. I had it scanned, and seems I have two bad injectors, 5 and 8 I think. It's going in tuesday for replacements. Just hoping that's all it is... I'd hate to drop over 500 clams replacing the injectors and find out there's more wrong with it. Guess we'll see.
Thanks for the welcome!!!!!
Kevin

2001 F350 CC SRW 4X4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 05-03-2009, 05:02 PM
The Screwy HEUI
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Smithfield, RI
Posts: 4,585
Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsmith View Post
Thanks Cory, Mike&April...
funny getting home and reading your posts, I just changed the fuel filter today, it seemed to help a bit, but still running a bit rough. I had it scanned, and seems I have two bad injectors, 5 and 8 I think. It's going in tuesday for replacements. Just hoping that's all it is... I'd hate to drop over 500 clams replacing the injectors and find out there's more wrong with it. Guess we'll see.
Thanks for the welcome!!!!!
Kevin

2001 F350 CC SRW 4X4
Either way, let us know how you make out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 05-03-2009, 05:04 PM
Emergency Services

 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: W.V.
Posts: 1,671
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
welcome to the org man, i hope you have an easy fix
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 05-03-2009, 05:07 PM
wriott
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
welcome to the addiction, hope the fix goes well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors