Something leaking in my motor (videos) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2009, 03:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Something leaking in my motor (videos)

I was driving and stepped on it to pass the vehicle next to me and my truck seemed like it missed a gear and I lost power. I let go of the accelerator and slowly pulled over. I still had power, so I drove home slowly. When I got home I checked my engine and it looked like it was leaking something. Almost want to say it looks like water.

I don't know much at all about mechanic work, so could someone help me out please! Need to know if I can drive to work tomorrow with it or should I park it and then have it fixed on Friday since I won't be working. The phone was titled sideways, so the video came out sideways.

Sorry if the quality and sound sucks because I used my phone to record two quick videos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2009, 03:36 PM
Premium Member

Thats your A/C buddy... the fluid is ac refrigerant leaking out and a little condensation too.. depending on the temp in your area... is she still blowin cold?? the dealership or just a local jiffy lube shop can fix that. dunno a price though.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:39 PM

Thanks for the reply. My AC has been acting up. Sometimes it throws out hot air even when I have it for the AC. Other times the AC isn't that cold when it's blowing, but it isn't hot like I mentioned. It takes a while to get cold too. I'm glad that's nothing major then.

I guess I have other problems with losing the power. If it's my tranny going south, then I won't be surprised. Actually can't believe it lasted this long, LOL!
Old 04-29-2009, 03:44 PM
Premium Member

well good luck with it... tranny's aint cheap, but you pay for what you get in most cases...
Old 04-29-2009, 03:47 PM

Thanks, and that is true. I've had this thing chipped since like 20k miles. 70% I'd say were ran on performance, 20% on Tow Safe, and the other 10% ran on stock. I dog the hell out of it all the time, so if it goes it goes. I'd probably get a built tranny if I'm going to spend that much though and get a real custom chip. For now I'll keep on driving till she decides to go.

Thanks again!
Old 04-29-2009, 06:03 PM
Emergency Services

Sounds like your refrigerant is a little low. The hissing sound you hear when you shut the truck down is normal. It is the "high side" and "low side" equalizing through the orifice tube. The upside to this is that the A/C system seems to still be working, but I think it needs more refrigerant. The condensation on the lines is also normal.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:46 PM

Well I was driving today and it did it again. I'm going to change my transmission oil probably this weekend and see if that helps. My brother in Law thinks it's the fan clutch.

also I'm losing antifreeze coolant somehow. He filled it up maybe 3-4 weeks ago and while looking at the engine it was 2 gallons short, so I have a leak somewhere.

Damn fan clutch is like $350-$400. And that isn't even a guarantee it'll fix it. That's a lot of money to me right now, lol. I rather have it be that than the tranny though.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:57 PM
Premium Member

yeah man, i'm pretty sure the clutch fan aint gonna make it dog out and change your shift pattern when gettin on it... you'll notice a little bit of drag on the motor, and the temp rising over normal on a hot day in traffic that should be about it. i'd recomend changing that fliud and filter, and look carefully at it, if its dark and smells burnt or there is a good chunk of shavings stuck to the magnet on the bottom of the pan, then its a sure thing somethin in there aint right. you said you dog the hell out of it, so your clutch paks might be goin.. usually what happens after it gets rode hard and put up wet to many times.. especially a stock one.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:00 PM

I guess this is better news than being the tranny. I'm going to put my chip back on tow safe and see how it runs on that. I'm definitely going to change the fluid this weekend and look at it carefully. If it's the fan clutch, then that's fine, but I dn't want to spend $350-$1k on one and that not even be it, ya know? The good thing is he would change it out for me for free as we (family) help each other out and don't charge.

Another thing he mentioned was that the fan either spun too fast in the motor or after I shut it down it takes too long for it o stop. Maybe that'll make sure sense to you guys.

Last edited by Smashed Ixnay; 04-30-2009 at 07:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.