fluttering air - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2009, 05:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
fluttering air

my truck is making a noise when i'm pulling a load up a hill. it will sometimes make the same noise when it shifts out. sounds like air fluttering thru a hole. the place that sold me the turbo said they would sell me another wastegate but in thier opinion, it would be a waste of my money. I've got a big airfilter and a banks wheel. would somebody please help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2009, 05:40 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
First off what cfm is your air filter. The sound could be caused by a couple things. First off is Turbo Surge, the other would be the turbl trying to suck air through your filter, the third is just the waste gate bleeding off the extra boost.

Ok lets look at turbo surge. Surge occurs when the extra air in the turbo has no where to go. So it goes back out the inlet. If the surge is bad enough it will cause turbo stall.

CFM and the air filter, if the cfm is not high enough the air filter is being to restrictive. Thus causing a constant whooshing sound of air. That whooshing sound is nothing more then air getting pulled through the air filter. A way to stop this replace the air filter with a higher cfm air filter. Remember the size of the filter doesn't matter. What matters is the cfm number.

Now the third thing I was talking about waste gate bleed off. This is occurs when the psi level is reached and the waste gate opens up. The waste gate will remain opened until the psi level is lower then the rating of the wastegate.

Now to determine what your problem is. Well you have the banks wheel, which is nothing more then the wicked wheel. So that should prevent your surge. But it does not always prevent it or stop it. So you may want to look at the bigger compressor housing.

Air filter you did not mention what your cfm of your current air filter is. I know mine is around 900cfm. I do not have this problem. So like I said your air filter can be big but the cfm numbers have to be high. But do not sacrafice the filtering of the filter for higher cfm.

Waste gate, well if it is opening often, or staying open for long periods of time. Then you may want to look into a different waste gate.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for replying! air filter is a duralite tymar, don't know the cfm. it's the big round one they show on this thread. the sound is something like this, sh sh sh sh sh. could you hear that thru the internet? haha. I know nothing about these things, but as i understand how the wastegate works, it makes me think that it is barely opening and closing when then pressure goes way up. i had a truck driver tell me the same and suggested to pull the vacuum line off the gate but it still did it. as i said earlier, ron's turbo said he'd sell me another but felt it was a waste of money. i'll try just about anything you suggest. thanks again.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:11 PM
PMR = JUNK

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake
Sounds like surge to me. I agree with pretty much everything bigcountry said except for the wastegate. You will never hear the wastegate opening.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ain't the banks wheel supposed to eliminate that? when your trans shifts out when your pulling hard what is the sound of air i am hearing released
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.