p1211 code plus towing problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2009, 04:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question p1211 code plus towing problem

1999 f350 4x4 w Superchip Micro-Max Tuner

I just had the high pressure sensor replaced because my truck was losing power on hills when towing. Mechanic said the sensor had oil blowing by so we replaced it. I hooked up to the 4 horse trailer (empty) to test run and it did great on the flat, no loss of power and great acceleration. As soon as I hit the hill (gradual incline) i started losing power. I could maintain RPM but lost significant speed. The SES light came on and the engine "hiccuped" when it came on. Went home and dropped the trailer and drove the same route again. Set the cruise at 75 mph and climbed without any problem. This only seems to come up when I am towing a trailer. My truck is stock except the tuner.

I read the codes with the tuner and it shows a 1211 code. A lot of the threads on here and Diesel stop say this is not a big concern. Can my loss of power be related to this?

Any suggestions???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2009, 08:45 PM
Emergency Services

the 1211 code means you've had all the fun you can have. Basically you are running low on high pressure oil, which drives your injectors. Normally the p1211 code means that you were hammering it too hard, and you were demanding more high pressure oil than the truck can provide. It doesn't usually cause a noticeable problem though (aside from the actual light). My brother gets it all the time on his '03 with a TW chip. But it doesn't seem to cause a performance loss. If you are actually experiencing a performance loss, then I would be worried about the high pressure oil pump starting to flake out on you.

BTW, the sensor that was replaced is called the ICP (Injection Control Pressure) sensor, and if it had oil in the electrical connection, then it was bad, and time for a new one anyway.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks...now how do I

How do I verify it is the HPOP and how hard is it to change this pump? i've not done much with diesel engines and the shop didn't say anything about the HPOP possibly being bad which concerns me about what they are looking at.

I have looked around a little at HPOP options and wonder if anyone has any feedback on the Adreneline by Dieselsite https://www.dieselsite.com/adrenaline/

Also, would an oil leak on hte HPOP of oil lines cause loss of power like this?

I would appreciate any help anyone can offer...Thanks.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:17 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

1211 is normal with a chip under load, should not cause a powr loss , get a boost test run and see what it reads , with a chip 25 lbs of boost would be fairly normal
Old 04-17-2009, 09:44 AM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowapiti View Post
How do I verify it is the HPOP and how hard is it to change this pump? i've not done much with diesel engines and the shop didn't say anything about the HPOP possibly being bad which concerns me about what they are looking at.

I have looked around a little at HPOP options and wonder if anyone has any feedback on the Adreneline by Dieselsite https://www.dieselsite.com/adrenaline/

Also, would an oil leak on hte HPOP of oil lines cause loss of power like this?

I would appreciate any help anyone can offer...Thanks.
If one of the lines were leaking you would have a really big mess under the hood. An O-ring might be weeping a bit, but that is really not a big deal, and shouldn't cause what you are experiencing.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I was curious about adrenaline to. Believe my HPOP is going. Already replaced a bad sensor do to oil being in the connection and a high pressure regulator. Noticed loss of power when pulling a trailer up to the Mountains but also dealt with a bad turbo that was replaced that same week. It leaked small drops of oil under the truck and blew white smoke(burnt oil)out of the exhaust. It will leak down on the engine and run down along the rear main seal. There will be alot of blow off on the trans pan and surrounding areas. I don't want to worry you but that was my deal. I do get the 1211 code also. I also notice rough running at lower RPM's. It will get worse until the truck just doesn't start. Could take awhile though.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

UPDATE: thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately I haven't had much time to check the boost or anything else yet. However, I forgot to mention a problem that occurred prior to having this problem. I had my travel trailer hooked to my truck for an overnight campout and left the lights connected. Next day I got ready to leave and the truck wouldn't start. I had to have a friend jump start it. After I took off I had all kinds of problems with electronics - guages bouncing all over the place, dash lights flashing, radio problems, interior lights going on and off, etc. About 5 miles down the road it all started again and I lost power. Had the truck towed to the dealership. After they looked at it they said the alternator and both batteries were bad. I replaced both batts and alternator.

I didn't have any of the issues I am having now until I had to jump start it. That is the only time I have had to jump it in the four years I've had it. Is it possible that jump starting it fried a circuit and how do I check this?

Also, how do I check the boost? I don't have any aftermarket gauges on this (yet) and am horse rich and cash broke and no one wants to buy a horse...

Thanks for the help...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.