Dead throttle - 2002 7.3L Super Duty - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2007, 01:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dead throttle - 2002 7.3L Super Duty

I've read about 500 posts today trying to figure this out, but no luck so far so I'm starting a new topic from scratch.

First, a little history...

HISTORY:

About 3 months ago I drover through some flooded roadways (no not over rivers/creeks/washouts) and sent a bunch of water up under the truck. Almost immediately my truck became unresponsive to the throttle (gas pedal). I nursed it home hoping that something was just wet...

The next day it started fine and was responsive, with a few exceptions... Every now and then it would act like it was going to go, but then it would just drop back to idle. Not a nice feature when pulling out in intersections.

Since then it has been about 99% responsive, but does have an occassional hiccup and doesn't respond for a few seconds.

In recent days we have been hit by an ice storm... In the days leading to the storm it was probably in the low 40's with some mild freezing. I was out getting firewood going up and down steep hills. I noticed that when heading up steep hills, the truck would stall (not die, just drop back to idle). It was definitely reproducable.

I once again nursed it home... Then the ice storm hit. Now it will start, but it is 100% non responsive to the gas pedal.

Note: Today the emission system light is on... It came on back when I went through the water too, but it's been off since... Right now it is steady on.

WHAT I'VE TRIED (to no avail):

1.) Replaced the cam position sensor as I've seen a lot of posts on that. No luck. In fact, I experience some of the hard-to-start symptoms after replacing it, but it seems to fire up pretty quickly again now.

2.) Unplugged the wiring harness off of the gas pedal assembly. Used compressed air to blow off all connections and linkages that I could see. Never could see any exposed switch.

3.) Check wiring through visual inspection. I've read about wiring harnesses being melted and shorting. I found nothing. All wiring appears to be entact and none of the shielding is damaged.

4.) Checked all fuses under the dash.

5.) Drank a few beers to get clarity. No luck. Still confused. I might try this a few times though to see if it helps.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated. I'm lost. I am loosly speculating that there is water somewhere in some system. I'm guessing that the freeze has turned that water to a solid and it's jacking me up somehow. I should be able to test that theory tomorrow when the temperatures are up.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2007, 01:31 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

if engine idles but no response , 9 times out of ten its the accelerator pedal assembly ,i would pull codes if code p0122 or p0123 are in system ,put a pedal on it,the water incident may be partially coincidental
Old 01-17-2007, 01:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks. I haven't pulled codes as I have no way to do it myself. I was hoping to do it at a chain auto parts shop, but they tell me they don't have the equipment to pull anything unless there is an error code and the check engine light is on - which it is not.

By the way... When the engine is idling, if I remove the throttle cable harness, the RPMs go up slightly. I don't know if that is useful information at all. To me that would indicate that perhaps everything else is working properly and it is just the pedal... but who knows.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:39 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

pull codes and go from there
Old 01-17-2007, 03:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No go on the pedal... I got a new assembly and it doesn't change anything. I'll try to get the codes and report them back.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Forgot that I could pull the codes with my hypertech tuner... Here they are:

P1AEE
P0008
P08A6
P0027
P0208
P08FF

I am looking them up now, but figured I'd post them while researching. I was very surprised to see 6 of them...
Old 01-17-2007, 04:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I cleared the codes with the hypertech programmer...

Then I reloaded the stock program...

Then I cleared the codes one more time...

Now the code I get back is P1AEE and that is the only one... From searches it appear that this is still hypertech related. I've disconnected the batteries in hopes that this will reset all DTC codes... If not, I'm not sure what to do next.

The emissions light light is on and so is the "check guage" light. More to come after I try to hard reset the DTC codes with the battery disconnect...
Old 01-18-2007, 01:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ran out of time and just had the SOB towed to the dealership today... I'll update with the final resolution as soon as I know it. It has to be a sensor somewhere...
Old 01-21-2007, 04:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

non responsive throttle

my 2002 did almost the same thing i would be driving and the throttle would become unresponsive when i kicked the crap out of the pedal it would start working again i had to buy a new gas pedal
Old 01-30-2007, 03:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Resolution...

It was the injector control module....

Also, the cam position sensor that I replaced was actually bad. I knew that because when I replaced it it made the truck hard to start.

In the end, I should have taken it to the dealer... I didn't think these would be covered under the 100,000 mile drive train warranty, but they were!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.