slight miss/skip at idle no codes where do i go from here? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2009, 08:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
slight miss/skip at idle no codes where do i go from here?

Hi I am looking for some advice and some help.... I posted this in trans issues before because that's what it seemed to be at first but here goes with my issue....
I noticed it when it was really loaded down with firewood. It seemed to be hopping or pulling when I was at a stop light and rolling just off idle. It made the truck almost bounce as I was pulling away. It gets 16 mpg no matter how I drive it, it pulls hard and I would never say it lacks power. I have no codes, no check engine light, etc. Fuel and air filter changed less than 500 miles ago. Oil is right about 5000 miles on rotella 5-40. I plan to change it between now and 6000 miles and have a blackstone oil analysis done on it. My issue happens when flashed with superchips and when not, nothing seems to affect it. I keep reading about a buzz test and cyl contribution test, I don't have the means of running those right now, but I may in the future. It doesn't run bad enough to even dream that its a bad injector, but this my first stroke, but far from my first diesel troubleshooting situation <VW, mercedes, detroit, cat, cummins, gm all in my past> I keep reading about the UVC harness and how that can make for issues like this. Do I dare tear in there and check for a loose one? Do these things normally throw a code when they miss bad enough or does it take a lot? How much of a pita is it to pull the valve covers and is this where I should begin? Maybe its the hpop oil that hasn't been changed....lol. is is worth my time to get a buzz test and cyl contribution test done? How much should a shop charge me for this? Thanks. I'm going to try and put a video up of it running. Maybe that will help. - Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2009, 12:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

CHeck your Exhaust Back Pressure sensor tube for blockage. Sensor is located at the top of the motor in front of the fuel filter housing screwed to a metal tube that runs to the passenger exhaust manafold. Some people clean these but they don't cost much to replace. If you clean it do take it off-you don't want to send a love chunk though the turbo.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:10 PM

I will say that I pulled the sensor just now and yup... it's clogged with soot. Are my symptoms indicative of this being clogged? I sprayed out the sensor a little and with it out, started the truck. I would have expected for something to be coming out of that hole (exhaust gas) and there was zero. Plugged up. Looks like I will be cleaning this tonight. I don't have a code for it and I don't like things plugged that shouldn't be, but will this be worth my time?

What else do I have to look forward to by cleaning it out? Somewhere I read better economy... who knows! Thanks!

Scott
Old 04-05-2009, 05:54 PM

Cleaned the tube out with compressed air and some carb cleaner. It was pretty easy to do, and I cleaned the sensor out too. Makes no difference with the idle issue at all, but I am glad to have gotten it taken care of before it causes me a problem.

Any other ideas?

Scott
Old 04-05-2009, 06:07 PM
Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyP5947 View Post
Cleaned the tube out with compressed air and some carb cleaner. It was pretty easy to do, and I cleaned the sensor out too. Makes no difference with the idle issue at all, but I am glad to have gotten it taken care of before it causes me a problem.

Any other ideas?

Scott
It will help with chugging, that's about it. The miss/lope/skip you are speaking of is injector related. Get a contrib/balance and buzz test.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:41 PM

Alright! I have a buddy that works at the ford dealership in town (Thanks Matt!) and I had him run a buzz test - passed with flying colors. I had him run cyl contribution test and it came up with # 8 being out of balance. He's not 'the' diesel guy at the dealership, so when the guy who does diesels all day long came out he said "thing sounds great - what did you say your problem is?" I explained my situation and he said that it was more than likely the IPR (I may have the letters off -IPD?) he said it's a $350 part, and for me to 'run the snot out of it and don't worry about anything'. He said his truck does it too, and has for 5 years - no worries. When I asked about the # 8 injector, he said the same thing - not to worry, it's nearly 'normal', just get stage one or two injectors in a year or two when I feel like upgrading. He must have been able to tell that I wanted to do that someday anyway, but who doesn't?

What do yall think?

Scott
Old 04-11-2009, 09:40 PM

Did you have the CPS recall done? Personally I'd make sure I had a black CPS in. Do the Cylinder Contirbution test again. If it passes Change the IPR and then maybe look at injector o-rings. My truck ran like poop. I put injector o-rings in it and they were shot. My skipping and sputtering is gone and it idles a hell of a lot better and it didnt really idle to bad before just seemed nervous.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:08 PM

Sure did about the CPS- this article seems to go closely with the other miss/skip article in this section. A lot of folks seem to be betting on IPR orings, IPR, etc. Someone even said it was the rotella 5-40 they were using. I am using that oil too... ? I am about to change the oil soon, and I may very well try something different - $90 oil changes every 5k is spendy!

Geez - I should just drive it until it gets worse? I guess that is better than throwing parts at it. I have also read to disconnect the ICP and see if that makes a difference, I have yet to try that, the wife has the truck in Tacoma now. Hopefully it doesn't get broken into this time! As for IPR orings - wouldn't there be some leak I would notice or would it be internal? I have already looked for oil in the ICP plug, BTW and there is none.

Scott
Old 04-14-2009, 05:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The only way i see an oil like rottella causing a problem is if they were slacking on thier oil changes( i have been using mobil one but only because i can borrow it from work). I would check my fuel pressure at this point.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:52 PM

Yeah - sadly I changed the oil to delvac 15-40 and it seemed to make my mis/skip even worse. Seems like great oil and is rather quiet in the truck, but now it seems to have the miss a slight bit more than it did. I am guessing that is due to the move from 5-40 to 15-40 more than anything else.

Does that spark any ideas for anyone?

Thanks!

Scott P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.