Started ran then no throttle response (01 excursion 7.3) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2007, 06:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Started ran then no throttle response (01 excursion 7.3)

Started, let it run for about 20 min. Went to drive away, the throttle responded then it went dead. As if the throttle cable fell off. I know it does not have one. I then shut it off and tried to restart it. It started and stalled. Tried again and the same thing. I left it for a couple of hours and went back to try it again. Turned the key to on and the wait to start light does not come on now. Checked most of the fuses that I could check with a test light. All the plastic fuses are fine. Not sure how to check the larger in closed ones. Any help is welcome big time.......Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2007, 06:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to rsecondchance1
Thumbs up Cps

May what to hit your local Diesel shop for a CPS, sounds just like that.
You'll get a lot of hits that will tell yo the same.

Larry
Rsecondchance1@comcast.net
If you can't ride and play hard
Watch or stay home.
Ford 7.3 and KTM
Push harder
Old 01-15-2007, 06:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok,,,Thank for you time and help.....What is a CPS? ..
Old 01-15-2007, 07:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Crank Postion Sensor, Located on the front of the engine just above the balencer on the passenger side, single bolt about a 8 MM . Should cost around $90.00 and Don't do OEM try for an International if you can ,they last longer and are worth the price diff.
Larry
Old 01-15-2007, 07:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Will this show up as the problem with a scan? You sound pretty sure that what I have posted that this is the fix. I'm just a little concerned as to how the wait light on the dash relates to this? Thanks again for your time and help....
Old 01-15-2007, 07:22 PM

Send a message via AIM to dgramenz Send a message via MSN to dgramenz
Cps

The CPS is actually the Camshaft Position Sensor and I believe it's a 10mm bolt. You can find the sensor on eBay for probably in the $50-70 neighborhood. I'm not sure if it shows up on a scan or not, but if it was me, I would do it anyway.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Most likely not on the scan tool, as for the wait to start , not lighting up, if you don't have enough volts left in the batterys to fire off the glow plugs then the light will not light off either. I you have cranked on the starter to try and start the truck you may have run down the batterys.
This will be the first place the Dealer will start ,and it will cost you their.
I race dirt bikes and have a lot of friends and we all drive Fords, some of us have been through most the same thing you have. I know when some of the other known Fourm readers see this they will help in the same start area. Good luck.

Larry
Old 01-15-2007, 07:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I didn't crank it down and still have plenty of battery. But I'll check it out and look into what you have suggested. At least know I have some idea. I'll let you know how it goes. Thank you all.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Smile

Hi all. Just so to give you an update. First of all I must have made a small mistake checking my fuses. I had my mechanic look at the truck and he did some testing. He was on the phone ready to order a glow plug solenoid and something else witch started looking like around $300.00 or so. I said that we should just go through the fuses one more time. He found the #19 fuse under the dash which is a 15amp fuse was blown. He replaced it and I was on my way. Drove it all day and just got home to let you all know the good news. Just a 15amp fuse. Thanks for all the help and tell the next time. See Ya!
Old 01-16-2007, 04:01 PM
Nuckin' Futz

Through my expirience ive learned to hit the fuses hard...it only take one important one to blow and you've got all sorts of problems. I went to school for diagnostics and 80% of the troubles were cause by fuses when we went in and worked on the engine trainers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.