Strange noise...any help would be appreciated - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2009, 04:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Strange noise...any help would be appreciated

I'm ready to pull my hair out....I've got a 2001 7.3 powerstroke it has 72,xxx miles....I have aquired a strange noise in the engine compartment....almost sounds like when you blow up a balloon...pinch the end and make it squeek...I know it sounds crazy... it only happens under boost about starting at about 1800 rpm and getting louder as it gains rpm....it sounds like its under the dash on the driverside...I removed all hoses...tubes...boots...etc.. to the turbo...all of them looked great...no holes...no anything...I took it to a local repair shop and they couldn't figure it out...I'm hoping someone else has has this problem....any help is greatly appreciated...thanks Shane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2009, 04:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

take off your IC boots, clean them, spray them with hair spray and put them back on nice and tight
Old 04-01-2009, 05:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I will try that...at this point I'm not beyond trying anything...the thing that keeps throwing me off is the fact it sounds like its around where the turbo sets...its very hard to hear with the hood open...but while driving very easy to hear....
Old 04-01-2009, 05:16 PM

make sure you clean the two beneath the spider (the intake where the turbo bolts to) there are two orange ones under there (atleast orange on my truck). It could very well be coming from there aswell.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I BELIEVE THERE IS A FORD TSB THAT MAY APPLY. TSB 03-21-49 LOOSE OR MISSING HOUSING BOLTS ON YOUR TURBO. THE FORD BOLT KIT IS 1C3Z-9G486-AA ABOUT 10 BUCKS AT DEALER. I DIDN'T THINK MUCH OF THIS UNTIL I CHECKED AN F350 AND SURE ENOUGH ONE BOLT MISSING AND ONE LOOSE. A SMALL SPLIT OPENED UP AND CAUSED NOISE, CAN ALSO CAUSE A POWER LOSS.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I will look into the bolt/missing bolts maybe thats it...last night I pulled the intercooler tubes and inspected...pulled the y pipe/spider...checked all the rubber boots...and still have the problem...maybe its missing some bolts...gonna check when the truck cools off...thanks guys !!!!
Old 04-11-2009, 05:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok I checked the housing bolts...no luck...all there and all tight...what else around the turbo could be leaking...from inside the cab thats where the noise sounds like its coming from....
Old 04-16-2009, 10:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

to clarify, the bolts are between the two 'snails' at the center housing,there are four bolts and you will be able to see only two from the front, one on top near firewall and to see the last one you will need an inspection mirror to look behind the center housing. usually one or two are loose and one will be missing. also check for black soot at down pipe indicating an exhaust leak.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

2000 Stroker Turbo Noise

Same Problem on My 2000 7.3, Around Aproximatly 1800 RPM, The Turbo starts to stutter, Getting higher pitched under a Load climbing a Hill. P.S Didn't notice until I put a an Edge Evolution on it.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:06 PM

im new here, this is how i found this site, i have the same problem on my 99 and was hoping to find some answers, i replaced all my air-air lines, still can't figure it out, it's drivng me nuts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.