Glow Plug Relay ~ Help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2009, 05:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Glow Plug Relay ~ Help

Ok so it sounds like a dumb story but here it is. I was re-attaching my hydrogen generator after changing it around. The main power to it comes from the battery through a small box relay which is activated by a remote wire that comes off of the top of the glow plug relay. Well I accidentally shorted the green wire and surprise, the truck wont start. Typically the top left post has power. When you turn the key on, the top left post AND the bottom left post have power. After this little incident, the bottom left post no longer has power when the key is turned. If i short across the two left posts, the WTS light comes on and you can start the truck. I had to wire them together to get home. What I want to know is if there is some sort of fuse for this relay I should check or if you think i simply fried the whole relay.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2009, 06:04 PM

BUMMMMMMMMMMMMP
Old 03-25-2009, 03:30 AM

If your making the relay work by jumping bat. post to signal post the relay is good. Does the wait to start light come on? There should be a fuse or fusible link but I'm not sure right now where it's located. I think it's in the PDC under the hood but I'm not sure.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:17 PM

Check voltage between glow plug relay Circuit 38 (BK/O) and chassis ground.
Is battery voltage present?
If yes
Connect voltmeter between relay terminal with two brown wires and chassis ground.

l Measure voltage with key off and key on while wiggling wires connected to relay (relay will remain closed for two minutes with key on).

l Does voltage change from 0 to battery voltage and stay at battery voltage for approximately 2 minutes?

No
REPLACE glow plug relay.

YES = its working
Old 03-26-2009, 10:13 AM

i really appreciate your guys help, thanks for the responses. I check and it seemed ok. I ended up digging through the fuses again and it turns out when you short out the AIH relay it blows your PCM fuse #30. We had went and got a new fuse but one of us stuck it in the empty slot right below the PCM fuse spot where the trailer recharge generator fuse spot is. So here is another interesting trick that may or may not be harmful. If you ever blow your PCM fuse and dont have a spare, you can temporarily bridge the top left post and bottom left post on your AIH relay and your truck will still run, even with no PCM fuse. Its probably a good enough fix to get to the local parts store and grab a fuse if you're stranded.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:50 PM
Let's go B's!!!!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
After looking at your picture, My post was going to say that was the AIH, not the GPR. I guess you already figured that onr out though.

Glad you got it going OK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.