Runs rough, Vibrates - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2009, 05:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Runs rough, Vibrates

The Truck:

As you can see from my sig, the truck is a 2002 E-350 SD, it is a ambulance chassis with the ambulance box off, a 63" sleeper & 8' flatbed in its place.

What I use it for:

I transport RV's, Horse Trailers, Boats, Utility Trailers, etc...

Truck History (since I have owned her):

The truck has 265,000 miles on her, (160,000 when I bought her a year & half ago).

I am a 50 year old man who works the truck, but "Does Not Beat On Her" in anyway.

Approx. 40% of the miles I have put on her are loaded miles.

The heavy est trailer I have ever pulled with her was 9,980#, the average is approx. 6,500#

I always keep the "Superchips Programmer" on "Tow safe" mode.

What the Situation Is:

While on a run to Oregon a week & half ago (the trailer only weighed 2800#),
the truck started to surge(buck) @ highway speed (with cruise on & off), then the "service engine" light would come on then go off after a few miles. I stopped & checked DTC code with "Super chips" programmer & got codes: P1211 & P0630. I cleared codes.

The truck continued bucking on & off now at all speeds.

I stopped at Parts Store & bought 2 new air filters & replaced the old ones (even though the old ones only had approx. 1500 miles on them).

This made no diff.

Delivered trailer, truck still ran rough even without trailer in tow.

Stopped at International Dealer & had fuel filter replaced, even though present fuel filter only had approx. 1500 miles on it. Had tech show me old filter & we both agreed that filter was "Not" in bad shape.

This made no diff.

Stopped at Ford Dealership, told service manager what was going on & what I had done to this point, He went right to my truck pulled oil dipstick out & showed me oil with bubbles on my dipstick that also was down to the add mark. I had checked oil on last fill-up (approx. 800 miles earlier) & all was fine.

I told him that I use Rotella 5w-40 syn with purealator filter & had changed oil approx. 5000 miles ago.
He recommend oil change with "Motorcraft" filter & 15w-40 oil. I let him do it.
Drove truck after oil change for approx. 25 miles & truck smoothed out & ran fine. (This was in Oregon)

Got back to Indiana approx. 50 miles from house & truck started doing it again(Bucking, almost like a misfire on a gas engine) & was also vibrating the truck.

Got to house, checked oil, all was well there, no bubbles, oil level on fill mark.

I have drove truck in town (approx. 10 miles 1 way) a half a dozen times & she still bucks & vibrates off & on @ any speed.

She starts just fine, sometimes bucks (misses) @ idle & driving.

She is not blowing any smoke of any color.

I have always ran "Power Service" @ recommended dosage since I have owned her.

I have always ran Dodges (3) before this truck & I am learning that the power stroke is quite a different engine.

Please keep in mind that I am "NOT" a mechanic (seen the job, don't want it),
I can & will change the oil & filter if I have a mind to.
Will not change the fuel filter myself (did it once on this van/chassis & never will again).

I am wanting to know if anyone else has ran across this & what the possible cure may be. & if it is something simple that a non-mechanic can do or if not then at least if I have to take her to a tech. I will have an ideal what may be the problem, so I can lessen my chance of being "Snowed"

All help/advice will be appreciated,

Thanks,

Captain Ron
USAF (Ret)

Also, I forgot: She "Does Not" throw any codes nor does does the "service engine soon" light come on now.

I do not want to sound like I am grasping at straws, but I want to make sure I have covered all info:

About 1000 miles before she started doing this I had the rear axle seals (1 was leaking), bearings, both rear rotors (she is a dually with 4-wheel disk) replaced, all brake pads (front rotors turned) rear diff drained (cover off) & replaced with HD syn. diff fluid & required limited slip additive. Could something have been installed wrong or the "brake parts cleaner the tech used to clean the inside of the diff" done something to that "sensor" that is on the top of the diff? (shows my lack of tech know-how, does'nt it....)

Thanks

Last edited by Captain Ron; 03-24-2009 at 11:33 AM. Reason: More Forgotten Info:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2009, 06:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Might be wrong, but I'd check your CPS cam shaft position sensor.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by avancamp View Post
Might be wrong, but I'd check your CPS cam shaft position sensor.
My local Ford Dealership replaced the "CPS" under the "Ford Recall" about 6 months ago,

But.......... If you think this could still be the problem, is it something I (A non-tech) can check or should I take it back to them.

Thanks
Old 03-24-2009, 06:27 AM

Well did you look up them codes you got? and see what they was? Just because you clear them dont mean they wont come back.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by avancamp View Post
Well did you look up them codes you got? and see what they was? Just because you clear them dont mean they wont come back.
Yes, I did & when I told the Ford Dealership about them, they told me that they flashed because of my programmer. & they have not came back since they changed the oil.

PO1211 - ICP not ctrtlable - press above/desired
PO0603 - Internal cotrl mod kam error

Thanks
Old 03-24-2009, 01:22 PM

The 0603 I have that code throwed all the time. The other i'd try to fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.