Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

f350 if it can't be fixed recycle it

2K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  stevlin 
#1 ·
Gentlemen

I have been on the s site before, but i give a little background.

Truck- 2002 F350 Crew dually, 4x4, 7.3L, Auto, 4.10 rear gear.
Milage 135000 KM's or 84000 aprox miles.

Mods- 4" turbo back bullydog dual exhaust, Hypertec programer, 70,90,120 primaryly on 70hp, K&N Ram air kit.

Problems- started at 90000 km's 1.5 years ago cracked injector cup, 3 months past engine warrenty, 3500$ my pocket, Ford 0$. Ford won't do a thing to help.

Since then I have had the following

Symptoms that NO ONE can fix- rough idle, Shake at 1250rpm up through the rpm band, hard starting, consistant miss or hammerlike sound. Lack of power ( bad). Very audiable out the exhaust. It sound like Chat. Embarasing to drive.

What it sounds like to me is Valve, valve spring , lifter, cam shaft or piston. ??? Has the same frequency as on of the above

What's been checked. Injectors ok checked twice, Fuel pressure ok, compression ok, HPOP ok, electrical resistance ok,Milage is lower ( winter wheather considered) and under load computer test ? ok

According to the tech there is nothing wrong with my truck as per the stinkin computer, Says it is a product of the exhaust, however I know that I pulling a 16 foot enclosed trailer ( and shouldn't even feel it behind me ),with a few woodworking tools inside ( basicly no weight at all ). So if the computer doesn't read it it don't exist ?

This last year I have hated every day that I had to pull a trailer, I could hook a harness to my back and pull it faster myself.

Has ANYONE had anything like this to them. Any suggestions

Need to fix this beast. Can't trade with it running like this.

I like the Superduty, but I am tempted not to replace it with another.

SV

See less See more
#2 ·
I am assuming that you mean the technician said there are no codes, therefore there is nothing wrong? Absolutely not true. Dont know why he would blame the exhaust. He probably works on commission and would rather do brake jobs and stuff. Ill do some pokin around today and see what i can find.

#3 ·
Are all your rocker arms and such in place under your vave covers? do you have an idea of what under your valve cover should look like? if so, take them off and have a looksee. If the tech did a compression test, then I would think he looked at all that. Might be something with the fuel system. hows your filter, pump and injectors? Have you had a buzz test done by the dealer? buzz test will tell if all injectors are working properly.

I dont think it could be based on your description, but maybe something in your trans? maybe Torque Converter? that would have anyhting to do with hard starting. MAybe hard starting has to do with your Glow plug relay.

#4 ·
Believe me when I say I have had every test done.

This beast has cost me over 6000$ and still don't perform like it did. Before and after the program.

Something changed after the injector cup was replaced. Which they blamed on having a computer program in the truck caused it to crack ???.

Transmission is fine, just changed the fluid. Don't pull trailers every day, probably once a week.

Oil is changed every 3 months minimum, fuelfilter twice a year minimum

Makes this a little more confusing don't it.

Have had suggestios to have a dyno test done ?? Still don't know what that will show other than lack of power ? That I already know.

I have no Idea.

SV

#5 ·
dyno test is gonna do nothing for you, other than waste your money and show what lack of power you are having. dont waste your time. I dont know who would have suggested that. thats stupid.

Hopefully one of the techs on here can shed some light on the situation for you. good luck.

#6 ·
Thanks for you help. Hopefully I can get this figured out.

It still put me in mind of a bad valve, lifter or cam. Hard to tell with the diesel rattle.

Got a new symptom.

Last two mornings, after starting the truck I have had no throttle. Right to the floor no rpm.

After warming for a couple minutes it goes back to normal.

Electronic correct. Could damp and frosty affect this ? My guess is not a chance.

#8 ·
TPS... Throttle Position Sensor.

Get some info on what tests really have been done and what the real results were...

Compression test, What where the numbers?

Buzz test, passed?

Cont test, Passed?

Cylinder Rotational value, how balanced? What ones were low...

I am betting its a bent push rod, but its hard to say.

#7 ·
that sounds like your EPBV in your turbo pedistal not working. It closes to help warm the truck up faster. if you dont have one, or it doesnt work, then you wont have any throttle at all at cold start.

Could be a valve or lifter. Hopefully a tech will see this......

#9 ·
Thanks CSIPSD!!

#10 ·
Has this ever been a problem with the 7.3. Everyone that I ever talked too told me that it was almost bullit proof.

Have had an excellent truck up untill the injector cup replaced.
Just to let you know the heads were not taken off to do this ??? replace it

How I found this, there was diesel coming out the coolant overflow. Coolant was flushed.

What other potential problems would that have created ?

Both the tech's I took this too couldn't hear what I was talking about.

It is very well heard out the exhaust. Friend have told me that the truck sounds like Ch-t. I agree.

SV

#12 ·
Everyone will need some more info to really even give you a good guess...

Injector cups can be changed with the heads in the truck. Its not tough, just a little time consuming.

Any white smoke when running or start up? Have you done a full test of everything I mentioned above?

The 7.3 is a tough motor, but sometimes hard to diagnose... on the internet it gets harder!:doh:

#13 ·
The lack of throttle when cold could be the throttle position sensor as mentioned above, and could be related to some of the other issues you described but not for sure. If your sensor is bad and has a dead spot the computer doesn't know how much fuel to give and can give a miss or weird power symptoms.

Another thing I thought of, but may have been checked already is your IPR. Mine went bad and was sticking and had no codes in the computer. The weird things it was doing was a miss, weird throttle response at times. There were times when it would get really stuck and it felt like I didn't have any power because it wasn't giving enough oil to the injectors. The injectors would get real loud and the exhaust would sound funny. But it sounds like you have something different going on, but if it hasn't been checked it's something to look at. Hope you can get some help on here.

#14 ·
Ford Cowboy

What would you describe the exhaust note like, My definition is a whipple, or a fluttering sound.

Did the sound get stronger after an oil change ?

Pardon my ignorance but what is the IPR ?

Did the engine sound like a knocking valve ???

Just might be on to something

Sounds very familiar, When I first put dual exhaust on, it had a deep exhaust note that stood out. Now the truck sounds like a wimp.

SV

#17 ·
The IPR is the Injection Pressure Regulator Valve. It screws into the back of the HPOP. If you look in the valley of the motor to the drivers side of the fuel filter bowl you can see it way down there, it has a plug going into it. Pretty much the only thing down there with a plug. Probably couldn't have been damaged when in for repair, but the plug or wires can get melted or messed up which can cause issues. There is also a little tin nut that holds it all tight and if that gets loose it can cause some problems. Here is a link that kind of describes stuff about it.
New Page 0

I'm trying to remember exactly what the sounds were like. When it would stick the exhaust definitely didn't have it's deep throaty sound. The engine noise did have more of a knock or loud deep tick to it which was the injectors getting louder with lack of oil. It does seem like one or two might have been louder than the others. Usually if it is sticking it is because debris got stuck in there from the oil, so I don't know if noise would necessarily change with an oil change. But the thickness of the oil has an effect also, if you have real thick oil it can add to the IPR not wanting to move back and forth.

I'm definitely not an expert and I don't know for sure if this is your problem or not, with that said the IPR can be pretty pricey, I think close to $300 from ford, I found one on craigslist for $150, they are on Ebay for around $100. And I'm pretty sure mine was original with 250k miles, so with your low miles I don't know that it would be bad, but it could be. The way I found it to be the problem was hooked up to a scanner and driving around the Injection Control Pressure would jump up unusually when I would have a miss. The guy scanning it knew what to look for, I wouldn't have known. I'm guessing it didn't throw a code because technically the IPR was still functioning and the ICP sensor adjusted for the problem or something.

Throwing parts at it can get expensive and you could end up with the same problem still. So if you feel like putting a new one in it's worth a shot, or you can try cleaning it out like that link describes and see if there is a difference, but cleaning may not do anything if it is really bad, and it is only a bandaid, if it does happen to fix the problem it will come back. First place I would start if you are going to mess with the IPR is check the plug and wiring and the nut on the back of it, because those are easy.

#18 ·
Note:

If you do change it, go to Lowes, and get a 1 1/8" deep socket, and it will work perfectly. you can even break it loose with the ratchet on.

#19 ·
The pieces of the puzzle are making more sence now.

I'll have a look at it, I did see it where you descriped in the engine.

One thing I do know for sure is that the o-ring from the Oil filler neck had fallen in the engine, The spout was sitting loose on top of the engine, overtop of the hole. Found it after the Injector cup work had been done.

Remembering that there was diesel in the antifreeze overflow, which hit the fan which splashed around. I'm sure the o-ring expanded, aand had fallen in.

Could it be a piece of it, or would that get ground down enough that it doesn't matter. ??

Thanks I'll keep you posted

SV

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.