f350 if it can't be fixed recycle it - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2009, 10:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
f350 if it can't be fixed recycle it

Gentlemen

I have been on the s site before, but i give a little background.

Truck- 2002 F350 Crew dually, 4x4, 7.3L, Auto, 4.10 rear gear.
Milage 135000 KM's or 84000 aprox miles.

Mods- 4" turbo back bullydog dual exhaust, Hypertec programer, 70,90,120 primaryly on 70hp, K&N Ram air kit.

Problems- started at 90000 km's 1.5 years ago cracked injector cup, 3 months past engine warrenty, 3500$ my pocket, Ford 0$. Ford won't do a thing to help.

Since then I have had the following

Symptoms that NO ONE can fix- rough idle, Shake at 1250rpm up through the rpm band, hard starting, consistant miss or hammerlike sound. Lack of power ( bad). Very audiable out the exhaust. It sound like Chat. Embarasing to drive.

What it sounds like to me is Valve, valve spring , lifter, cam shaft or piston. ??? Has the same frequency as on of the above

What's been checked. Injectors ok checked twice, Fuel pressure ok, compression ok, HPOP ok, electrical resistance ok,Milage is lower ( winter wheather considered) and under load computer test ? ok

According to the tech there is nothing wrong with my truck as per the stinkin computer, Says it is a product of the exhaust, however I know that I pulling a 16 foot enclosed trailer ( and shouldn't even feel it behind me ),with a few woodworking tools inside ( basicly no weight at all ). So if the computer doesn't read it it don't exist ?

This last year I have hated every day that I had to pull a trailer, I could hook a harness to my back and pull it faster myself.

Has ANYONE had anything like this to them. Any suggestions

Need to fix this beast. Can't trade with it running like this.

I like the Superduty, but I am tempted not to replace it with another.

SV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2009, 10:40 AM
Premium Member

I am assuming that you mean the technician said there are no codes, therefore there is nothing wrong? Absolutely not true. Dont know why he would blame the exhaust. He probably works on commission and would rather do brake jobs and stuff. Ill do some pokin around today and see what i can find.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:51 AM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Are all your rocker arms and such in place under your vave covers? do you have an idea of what under your valve cover should look like? if so, take them off and have a looksee. If the tech did a compression test, then I would think he looked at all that. Might be something with the fuel system. hows your filter, pump and injectors? Have you had a buzz test done by the dealer? buzz test will tell if all injectors are working properly.

I dont think it could be based on your description, but maybe something in your trans? maybe Torque Converter? that would have anyhting to do with hard starting. MAybe hard starting has to do with your Glow plug relay.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Believe me when I say I have had every test done.

This beast has cost me over 6000$ and still don't perform like it did. Before and after the program.

Something changed after the injector cup was replaced. Which they blamed on having a computer program in the truck caused it to crack ???.

Transmission is fine, just changed the fluid. Don't pull trailers every day, probably once a week.

Oil is changed every 3 months minimum, fuelfilter twice a year minimum

Makes this a little more confusing don't it.

Have had suggestios to have a dyno test done ?? Still don't know what that will show other than lack of power ? That I already know.

I have no Idea.

SV
Old 03-23-2009, 03:18 AM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

dyno test is gonna do nothing for you, other than waste your money and show what lack of power you are having. dont waste your time. I dont know who would have suggested that. thats stupid.

Hopefully one of the techs on here can shed some light on the situation for you. good luck.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for you help. Hopefully I can get this figured out.

It still put me in mind of a bad valve, lifter or cam. Hard to tell with the diesel rattle.

Got a new symptom.

Last two mornings, after starting the truck I have had no throttle. Right to the floor no rpm.

After warming for a couple minutes it goes back to normal.

Electronic correct. Could damp and frosty affect this ? My guess is not a chance.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:51 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

that sounds like your EPBV in your turbo pedistal not working. It closes to help warm the truck up faster. if you dont have one, or it doesnt work, then you wont have any throttle at all at cold start.

Could be a valve or lifter. Hopefully a tech will see this......
Old 03-23-2009, 01:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevlin View Post
Thanks for you help. Hopefully I can get this figured out.

It still put me in mind of a bad valve, lifter or cam. Hard to tell with the diesel rattle.

Got a new symptom.

Last two mornings, after starting the truck I have had no throttle. Right to the floor no rpm.

After warming for a couple minutes it goes back to normal.

Electronic correct. Could damp and frosty affect this ? My guess is not a chance.

TPS... Throttle Position Sensor.

Get some info on what tests really have been done and what the real results were...

Compression test, What where the numbers?

Buzz test, passed?

Cont test, Passed?

Cylinder Rotational value, how balanced? What ones were low...

I am betting its a bent push rod, but its hard to say.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:03 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Thanks CSIPSD!!
Old 03-23-2009, 02:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Has this ever been a problem with the 7.3. Everyone that I ever talked too told me that it was almost bullit proof.

Have had an excellent truck up untill the injector cup replaced.
Just to let you know the heads were not taken off to do this ??? replace it

How I found this, there was diesel coming out the coolant overflow. Coolant was flushed.

What other potential problems would that have created ?

Both the tech's I took this too couldn't hear what I was talking about.

It is very well heard out the exhaust. Friend have told me that the truck sounds like Ch-t. I agree.

SV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.