Oil dumping from exhaust, Hydrolock, Bluish White smoke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2009, 01:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil dumping from exhaust, Hydrolock, Bluish White smoke

Hi Guys;

I rarely use my truck and park it in an industrial park, need to move it every three days or the city tows it.

Last time out, it started fine and ran fine but as I parked it, I noticed lots of smoke from exhaust (couldn't see color was at night) that smelled like diesel.

Shut it down, started it back up, noticed the engine hardstopped just before starting. Like a hydro lock.

Went back today in daylight, started fine, has a miss when idling and lots of white smoke with a blue tinge.

Shut it down, replaced CPS. Started it, hard-stopped while cranking again, then started right up and dumped a bunch (3-4 Tbsp) of oil and fuel from the (custom) EGT sensor hole on driver's side ex. manifold. Sensor is in place but the fit is not so great.

Shut it down and looked at the manifold, looks like oil/fuel weeping from #8 exhaust port.

No fault codes, I don't have the means to buzz/contribution test.

What could this be...? Dead cylinder or injector o-rings?

Ordered a compression test kit. Will check Monday/Tues when it arrives. Wondering if I should pull the #8 injector first. I just installed it 1 year and 2K miles ago, brand new AE Motorcraft (Long Lead Injector).

Thanks,

Mike

2000 F450 Dually single cab with Edge Evolution, 4" Turbo-Back, Tymar intake, 160K miles.

Last edited by mwallans; 03-21-2009 at 01:22 PM. Reason: add truck details
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2009, 01:40 PM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

Kinda sounds like the o-rings are letting the cylinder fill up with fuel/oil. Be careful not to bend a rod. At least you have a 2000 so you more than likely have forged rods not the crappy pmr's like in my 01. Are you getting any fuel leaking back into the engine oil?
Old 03-21-2009, 01:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Possibly... hard to tell. I'm not very experienced with diesels, but the oil level is fine, seems a bit thin, very black and what I found strange was fine bubbles on the dipstick. Oil was changed less than 2K miles ago.

Wasn't sure if the o-rings let oil or fuel past them or both if the injector is loose. Could be that it loosened with time... I torqued it to 120ft-lbs when I replaced the inj. per dieselmann's suggestion (rather than the factory 106ft-lbs).

I was worried about bending a rod so I'll pull the VC's and check to see if injectors are loose, then do Compression test before running again.

Hope it doesn't get towed before I get the Compression gauge and adapter.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:52 PM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

Good luck man, let us know what you find.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thought I had it solved when I pulled this out of the head @ cyl. #2:

But once I put it back together with new O-Rings on the injectors I still have the same problem.

The engine's tired. Compression is 350-375 on all cylinders. Within 25% hi-to-lo but below 400...

Don't think this is the issue since it's hydrolocking. If lack of compression (i.e. not enough for ignition) were the issue wouldn't I have enough blowby to avoid hydrolock? And is there even enough fuel in one proper squirt to hydrolock the engine anyways...

When I started the truck after the new injector o-rings, the smoke was dark grey and wreaked of diesel.

Pulled the glowplugs, and checked each cylinder for fluid with a syphon pump. Didn't find any with the tube bottoming on each piston.

Turned it over using a remote starter lead to the starter solenoid. Cylinder #2 blew diesel out of it every revolution for about 25-30 revolutions.

Could the injector be stuck open, and since the remote starter is pumping up the oil pressure, I'm causing the residual fuel in the fuel rail/galley to be exhausted?

Will a buzz test tell me if the injector is stuck, I don't want to try starting it anymore b/c of the hard stop it does while turning over... so not sure if I can do a contribution test.

Either way if I should run the tests I have to order Autoenginuity or OBD2.

Thinking of just throwing in a brand new AE injector I have lying around to see if that fixes it.

Anyone know if running an AE in any cyl other than #8 temporarily is a really bad idea?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 03-28-2009, 08:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to ford_trck
One of your injectors could have a cracked tip. Have you run a power contribution test? I would if you can. If not I would send that #2 off and number 8 if your unsure about them. If you can I would send them all off just to make sure.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Resolved

So I bought an "OBD-2" cable and downloaded Mr. Peper's software from OBD-2.com... highly recommended solution for Injector buzz test and contribution test.

$122 for the setup, and yeah it's not as flashy as AutoEnginuity, but I'll take te $240 savings and put it towards something else... like ordering an injector off ebay I won't end up using (see side note below).

Did the buzz test.

Injector #2, pictured above, didn't buzz. As reported elsewhere, there was buzzing when it was it's turn in the sequence, just clearly not from that injector. Verified by touching the injector and no vibration or anything.

No codes.

Everywhere says that means mechanical problem with the injector.

Replaced the injector.

The truck seems to be cured. Still smokes when warm but i think that's just diesel burning off from the exhaust. No smoke when cold and everything runs fine, no other issues.

Just to re-iterate, no cracked nozzle or visible signs of damage to the injector when removed to replace o-rings, but this injector WAS flowing diesel whenever the fuel rail was pressurized (key on), continuously. This flooded the cylinder to the point of hydrolocking the engine, even turing the engine slightly when the key was on and not being cranked!

Thanks to anyone who took the time to read this thread and gave it some thought.

Side note:

Ordered an injector off ebay from Pensacola Diesel in Florida, called ahead to make sure they had my card info for the core since I needed the injector that weekend. They said they'd look for the paypal and ship same day. I paid 10 minutes later.

That was a Monday (9:30am Pacific, 12:30 Eastern).

Injector didn't leave their warehouse until Wednesday. Obviously wasn't gonna make it in time for the weekend so I bought one locally. Thanks for nothing guys. They seem like nice enough people, and I'm sure their product is great... but the follow through was not as promised.

So if anyone needs a rebuilt injector in CA I think it gets here tomorrow, and I have no use for it. I'd hate to eat the core charge on it. PM me if you need an injector, are in CA, and have a core to replace it with.

Last edited by mwallans; 04-07-2009 at 09:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.